Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Just thinking about running a power wire from my Amateur radio directly to the battery(the cigar lighter don't supply enough amp's) and I wondered if there was already a blanking plug in place inside the engine bay I could use to run the wire through saving me having to drill into the engine bay chassis.

Mike.

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
Try behind the glove box if you have a manual there should be a spare gromit where the auto box loom would go through, what sort of current do you need and what you going to run, 2/70cm or HF

If your going to be pulling big current I would look at swapping the battery for a 075 (if it's a petrol as diesels already have an 075 battery )

I'm not a radio ham just a long time swl and car audio nut

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Flash,

It's a 2m/70cm radio, although I do have a multi mode radio which covers 11m and 6m as well. Mines a diesel so it'll have the higher rated battery. It'll be outputting around 45w and drawing around 15 amps( just to be safe) I'll have to have a look and see if I can find any rubber grommets. Are they hidden behind the center console trim?

Mike.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Best place I found when wiring up amp was where bonnet cable comes in 2 cabin no holes to drill it pops out just under brake fluid bottle, make sure it doesn't affect bonnet cable tho and petrol cap lever check both after ya ran cable through hole mate

·
Registered
269 Posts
Didn't find any other way through firewall with out drilling it n ended up with a squeaky glovebox after I took it off lol,give it a try worked for me n easier than stripping half the intereoir out oh I used a wire coat hanger straightened out taped to wire helps it come though straight n pop through without dropping behind engine n having to find it wile under car easier to run from inside to engine bay impossible other way around

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
Please check the dates before posting this one is 3 years old<div abp="1382">
<div abp="1383">FYI.there is a nice big grommet behind the glove box if its a manual there is a blank where the auto TCM would live - also the battery is on that side so you don't need as much cable = less power drop/resistance
<div abp="1383">
<div abp="1383">The Note also benefits from The Big Three

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.