Nissan Note Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HiHaving just got a Note 56 Plate auto I am v. pleased with it, but find the ride harsh!

As I am alone in the car most of the time I have reduced the tyre pressures very slightly and got some improvement - what if I reduce them to about 27 psi. Will this improve the ride?

They are 15" wheels with 185 tyres. My previous Scenic had wider tyres and was much abetter ride (but the Note is better engineered throughout.

Advice please!

Thanks

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
No don't do it ffs! all tyres should be at manufactures setting for your safety and others, at best you will wear out the tyre quickly and at worst you will over heat the tyre causing a blowout!!!!!! and while your waiting for that to happen your braking and steering performance will be greatly reduced.

·
Super Moderator
2,014 Posts
WHAT.
.......pump those tyres back up, as suggested.

You can't compare a Scenic with a Note.....two different vehicles, by two different factories. But built for similar reasons. Also, the Scenic is about 150 - 200kg heavier.

Check for leaks on the dampers, and possibly broken springs. You may be a careful driver, but the previous owner may not have been.

Notes do tend to be a little 'hoppy' on the rear end, especially when the fuel tank is low, and no weight the back.

You'll get used to it in no time.

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
Open the drivers door the tire pressures are on the sticker

The 16" alloys on mine I have at 34 psi in the fronts and 32 in the back

anything below 30 psi and it will handle like a 3 wheeled shopping trolley

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone - I take your points and will not reduce the pressures!
I will keep the tank over 3/4 full which will give me some extra weight.

When I had a Rover SDI some years ago I was advised by a mfrs engineer to put a couple of small bags of sand either side in the boot well ....and it did the trick!!

The car had only 27K on the clock when I got it this month from the main dealer and only one owner. It has nearly new tyres which MIGHT be budget (don't know what make are standard with this Note).

Thanks for your help all.

·
Registered
4,708 Posts
Standard are Continentals which if you search around this forum are 'butter-soft' and wear quickly . The 'budgets' will probably last longer.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have only owned a note for 2 weeks and i have to admit that i find the ride very good indeed, although the slightest breeze throws ot around like a rag doll. The previous daily driver was a 56 polo and the note is a far nicer place to be apart from perhaps motorway speed where the note goes from quite to sceaming from 65 onwards so i spend most of my time at 60-65 which doesnt really bother me to be honest. All in all i am very impressed. The note seems to be a hidden gem in the economical car scene!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks NigelB and anyoneSo..........what are the QUIETEST tyres for the NOTE irrespective of wear or price?

Thanks a lot

·
Registered
276 Posts
Some of the better tyre suppliers list all of the manufacturer ratings (wear, performance, noise... ) their web sites.Generally quieter means a more "closed" tread pattern which can mean less good wet grip (you can imagine slicks would be pretty quiet!)I wish I could remember where I've seen all the detail. If I do I'll post an update.

EDIT: Just found this:
http://www.national.co.uk/complete-guide-to-tyre-labelling/

George

Edited by: GeorgeP56

1 - 9 of 9 Posts