Nissan Note Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,wasn'tsure where to post this, so thought would start here :p. I'm trying to hook up some LED's to the rev counter, so as the revs increase, an LED will slowly illuminate. Now what I'm wondering is if anyone has any idea if the rev counter works on a variable voltage input from the ecu, or some other type of input, thanks :)

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
From the manwal:

"ECM converses a signal from crank position sensor to engine speed signal, and transmits to combination meter with CAN communication.
Combination meter converses the engine speed signal to angle, and commands to tachometer."

The schematic shows 4 wires per meter movement, so I guess they are stepper motors not analogue meters.

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
basically the rev counter gets it info over the canbus on the note, its not impossable todo just not worth the hassle
this sort of thing would be a doddle to do on a older car all you did waswireup a shift light to the coil but the note and 95% of new cars have coil packs controlled by the ecu with the canbus talking to the bcm and dials

Edited by: flash22

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I managed to find the service manaual with the wiring in it, and was wondering if the LEd could be hooked up to the CKP sensor, or would that just make the LED flash (if it worked at all)

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
No, it wont work that way.
Leave the engine sensors alone unless you really know what you are doing or it will end in tears

(or if you are lucky, just the MIL will be illuminated until it is reset after you remove the LED)

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Right ok :(,that'sa shame, but to be honest wasn't all to hopeful that it could be done ^^, would have been good if I could have, as would go with the LEDs i currently have fitted in the cab

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
You could get the alternator modified to output an rpm signal, if there isn't a terminal already, alternators are standard parts, and older diesel cars used the alternator to drive the rev counter.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I would go the analog route and fit a contact microphone in the engine bay...more noise=more lights!
There's more than one way to skin a...rhinoceros...erm...that doesn't sound right does it

Edited by: SneakyElephant

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hmmm, will have a look into both these options when I have the time, thanks guys (or gals) :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts