Nissan Note Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I need to replace my note's tachometer as I'm importing the car from Ireland, but I have no clue how to do it!
I've found no guides or tutorial online so I was wandering if you might help.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
does it not already have MPH marks on it? and I think the trip meter can be set for Km or Miles. Any new or replacement instrument panel will have to be paired to the vehicle with it's ser# and mileage details using the Nissan consult software though.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No it only has KMH marks on it unfortunately.
According to DVLA, I must replace the dial with a dual marked mph/kmh.

I've already found a supplier for the dial (I don't need to reprogram the digital to make it complainant) I simply don't know how to remove the dash! :(

Can anyone help me?

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
you could just swap the dial face from a set of clocks

have a look in the how to's for pics

to get at the clocks you need to undo 3 screws underneath in the steering cowl (the back screw needs a long Philips screwdriver), the cowl is just clipped together, unclip the 2 stalks(little white clips top and bottom) and un plug the cable in the back of the stalk

grab the cowl around the clocks and give it a tug the clocks are held by 1 screw undo this and pull the clocks straight up

Disconnect the battery for 10-15 mins before disconnecting the clocks if you don't the ecu will throw a fault and it may cause the car not to start

you may need to recalibrate to clock so the speedo reads rightEdited by: flash22

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Can you not simply mark the face with stickers like on a grey import motor bike?

(Then after it is checked you remove the stickers and remember that 30mph is 48 40 is 64 etc.)

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Should be al-right, normally they come with instructions to dismantle the case, and remove the needles, (two spoons method probably
)

I did a face change on a motorbike once, nowadays a km speedo wouldn't bother me, typical uk bureaucracy

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm really struggling in figuring out what I need to do in order to make things right!!!

I still have no idea of the costs. Would it be cheaper if I'll buy a new one (selling this one)?
If anybody has experienced importing a vehicle, PLEASE HELP ME!

Thanks

·
Registered
4,708 Posts
I had to have the same thing done with my Seat Alhambra. It was registered in Gibraltar, never driven and then imported to the UK by Seat as a demonstrator, never used and sold to me where it gave twelve years of sterling service. They originally tried a paper sticker which, as the Seat panel is all backlit was useless at night. In the end they simply replaced the dial (popped off the needle and clipped in a new dial). Probably just as easy with the Note.

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
Unless its dirt cheap look at uk cars as there are plenty about n.ireland and irish car spec's are a lot lower than uk cars as a whole

For someone to do the clocks for you I can see £150-250 with a main stealers being double that plus parts

then on top you will need to get it reg'ed in the uk, taxed and mot iirc for a car 2 years or older (as its a import) Insurance may be an issue as well

For the money what your going to spend, spend it on a newer or higher spec uk car

If it was a non uk model it maybe worth the hassle (The versa springs to mind)Edited by: flash22

·
Registered
4,708 Posts
brucewayneit said:
Thanks, Nigel.

What about paperwork and the overall cost of registering the car in the UK?
Sorry, I thought that you already has the car. Paperwork can be a bit of a 'mare IIRC from a mate who brought a Range rover over from Cyprus.

The slightest anomaly with the documents and you seem to get stuck in an endless loop. He had problems as, at the time, they were not EU members and he could not prove that VAT/duty had been paid.

In short, I'd walk away and get a UK spec/ UK registered vehicle.

Edited by: Nigel B

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have an UPDATE on this which I think might be useful for somebody else:

The whole process is easier than you think, quite straight forward to be honest.

You need to pay the VAT on your car, BUT considering your car is used and you've already paid for its VAT in another EU country, you don't have to pay anything. Just declare it on hmrc.gov.uk/nova

You need to pass the MOT (£27 @ Kwik-fit)

You need to insure your car ON THE CHASSIS NUMBER (Direct Line does it)

You need to get the EU CoC of your car if your car is up to 10years (about £97 on COCDOCS.com)

You need to bring all the above documents as well as you existing logbook to DVLA

AND

Pay £50 for the first registration

PLUS

The Car TAX rate of your car

JOB DONE!!! As simple as that!

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
So you don't need the MPH speedo?

I find nothing in the MOT regs about MPH.

Sounds like when I bought an Irish car from some backstreet importer several years ago.
Cost £50 for the certificate of conformity.
But I found out that at that time, if I had bought it in Ireland, and driven it here myself, so I was a personal importer, it would have just got registered to me FOC.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Yes, I've just seen your other post, well done for sorting it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts