Nissan Note Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. Has anyone replaced the front door speakers on their car? The ones on my Acenta tend to sound very toppy and adjusting the bass up on the control unit tone controls doesn't really improve matters. I don't want it to sound like a rude boy's car but the stereo definitely needs a bit more oomph. From what I can see, you need to remove the whole door card to get at the speaker.
Anyone confirm or deny this? If anyone knows for sure the correct size of speaker, I'd be grateful. Thanks. TRB

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
yep remove the whole door card 6.5" comps are your best bet (mid with a separate tweeter) havent done mine yet but its on mytodo list
you can use the stock adapters or use the micra ones wiring is easy esp if your going to totally rewire the speaker

stock wiring is good for 100-110w rms

·
Registered
245 Posts
flash22 said:
yep remove the whole door card 6.5" comps are your best bet (mid with a separate tweeter) havent done mine yet but its on mytodo list

you can use the stock adapters or use the micra ones wiring is easy esp if your going to totally rewire the speaker

stock wiring is good for 100-110w rms

As always, good info from Flash, nice one!!

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
You blokes are obviously planning to keep your Notes for a few years with all these mods...I shall suffer the standard Connect stereo until it's time to sell on in 2 years time...all these subs and fat wheels are nice at the time but people never want to pay for tricked out motors. When I was looking for a Skyline i looked at literally SCORES of R33 and 34s with stupid chipsets and dumbo exhausts with 'titanium tips' whatever they are, and passed on them all, especially the one that had a certified dyno reading of 700bhp (!!!!!). When the seller popped the bonnet i nearly fainted...that was no engine, it was a nuclear reactor! Living in one of the busiest parts of West London, with a speed camera every 200 yards, I decided to forego the extra oomph and find a totally standard V-Spec for a very good price, and it still had the Nissan 30k warranty in effect when I bought it from those nice people in St. Helens! Of course I'm a member of the GT Register too, that's a must if you want to run one of these brilliant cars without getting ripped off with a munter. Anyway, my Note is staying stock too, and Mrs Elephant insists that when the time comes we get another one just like it if the model hasn't been replaced by then...she really loves it! She won't drive the biggun, says it's too long at the front...she never complained on our honeymoon

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the posts. Off with the door cards then. I think it's worth improving the speakers regardless of how long you might have the car for.It's not as though it changes the appearance and for the sake of a few quid, well worth the effort. Decent 6.5" speakers can be had for around £25-30.

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
mine is staying stock nothing wrong with upgrading the audio its all hidden anyway
tbh a set of coaxils wont cut it is a step backwards £60 is min i would pay for a set of comp, plan for mine is...................

stock connect - Audio control LC6i (to level the lines and flaten the signal) - Asmall micro amp up behind the dash - slx 265 deluxe comps in the doors - front doors deadened with second skin

im no boy racer theres no harm in upgrading the audio

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
flash22 said:
mine is staying stock nothing wrong with upgrading the audio its all hidden anyway
tbh a set of coaxils wont cut it is a step backwards £60 is min i would pay for a set of comp, plan for mine is...................

stock connect - Audio control LC6i (to level the lines and flaten the signal) - Asmall micro amp up behind the dash - slx 265 deluxe comps in the doors - front doors deadened with second skin

im no boy racer theres no harm in upgrading the audio
Flash22 are you saying there won't be any difference if I replace the front speakers with (say) Pioneer items for around £30? I was hoping that would at least improve things a bit. I suspect standard speakers are very cheap items.

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
Coaxials (mid with a tweeter in the center) are a step backwards,stock speakers are components ie, a mid and a separate tweeter
a set of these will be much better than the oem ones

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/alpine-sxe-1750s.html

I have spent a lot of money over the years with car audio direct, i cant fault there service or prices

edit. bit out of touch with prices was 12-18 months ago since bought car audio stuff for myself

Edited by: flash22

·
Registered
245 Posts
flash22 said:
Coaxials (mid with a tweeter in the center) are a step backwards,stock speakers are components ie, a mid and a separate tweeter

a set of these will be much better than the oem ones

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/alpine-sxe-1750s.html

I have spent a lot of money over the years with car audio direct, i cant fault there service or prices

edit. bit out of touch with prices was 12-18 months ago since bought car audio stuff for myself

Flash, will the Alpines above fit perfectly, any experience of their sound?

Cheers!

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
alpines are ok for the money, the type E's in the link are budget speakers but are well built and can easily handle the 10 - 12.5w rms the connect puts out.Head unit setup helps put the fader to the front, treble around 0 -1 and bass to 2, that should pull the sound up front and not overly distort with high volumes
the oem speakers are built to a price

Ihave tried lots of speakers over the years and stuck with rainbow but there 140 a set tbh there the best speakers ive had under £400 quid

as thay say you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Great Flash!

I dont have the Nissan Connect thing, just the OEM 6 disc changer unit, so those speakers would be fine for my Note?

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
thay should be fine, thay will require a bit of wiring to fit the tweeter tho if you dont want to cut into the oem speaker wiring you will want some wiring adapters there around £1 or so each

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
I will do a "how to" today and a list of what you need
got my door card off at the mo, whats an easy job if you know what to look for and have the camera at the ready

·
Registered
7 Posts
Do you think amp is needed to upgrade the front speakers? i just got a note today and its very obvious that those speakers need an urgent upgrade

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
depends what you want put a decent pair of speakers will improve the sound if you want volume put a amp in
dont forget to have a look at the How To.

·
Registered
7 Posts
i already check. thanks for the detailed explaination. i was planning to take my car to a caraudio shop, however after i read the post im also considering if i can do it myself or not.anyway i spend some time in a shop today and he recommended me alpine spg17 cs for the fronts and spg17 c2 for the rear.
i checked it in a different store now im thinking if its going to change it that much if i replace the originals with these speakers.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Some people say that if you are not going to put a subwoofer then you will not need an amp, and the other say if you are not going to put a subwoofer you dont need any upgrade :)

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
it depends if you dont need/want a sub upgrading the speakers will help as there have a better responce to the lower frequences giving better bass
oem speakers are made to a price

1 - 20 of 21 Posts