1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Replacement key needed car was only supplied with one remote key...booooo

so im not so bothered about a spare remote key but i will need a spare

i guess with a chip in?

could you point me in the right direction?

many thanks

jason

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Correct procedure is to get one through Nissan.
They will need the car when it arrives, to remove the lost key from the memory, and activate the new key.
This is very expensive, but your insurance won't pay out if the car is stolen and there is an active key missing.

(There was a case of spare keys going "missing" at a dealership, and the cars being stolen shortly after purchase, turned out someone was selling the spare and the purchasers address)

The cheapskate way is to take your key to Timpsons or simillar, and they cut you a key and clone the chip for about £30.

Not much use to you, but never buy a car with only one key. Another reason is some cars (eg Toyota) have master and slave keys, and the master key is needed to activate the key programming sequence, new computer required without it).

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
iirc nissan charge a good £140 for the privlage a decent locksmith will able to clone the key for around £30-40
there is a cheaper route than nissan and thats to buy a fob and a blank blade off ebay get the blade cut by a locksmith for £10-15 then go to nissan to get it coded whats about £60 and takes 5-10 mins max bit of running about but saves a few quid

·
Registered
37 Posts
When I bought my Nissan Note 12 months ago I was told that they only come with 1 key now. I don't know if this is true or if I was being told bulls***. My note is a 2008 Tekna auto

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
It should have 2 remote fob keys my 59 platecome with 2

·
Registered
109 Posts
i also only got 1 key from Evans Halshaws,
their comment was " we only pass on what we get", no way were they going to provide another key,

first and last time i will ever buy a car with only 1 key, didnt know about the insurance aspect but it doesnt surprise me, insurance companies will try to wriggle out of paying out, its human nature

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Simples really.

If you can't produce both keys, then most likely the missing key was left in the ignition, so you did not secure the car and no payout.

(People still leave their car warming up on the drive, or the keys in at petrol stations even though you don't get a penny if it is stolen)

If the keys are stolen from your house I think there has to be forced entry, not nipping in the open back door or hooking the keys off the hall table with a fishing rod to get them to pay out, but this could be newspaper scaremongering.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hi,,I just called in to my local Nissan garage were i purchased my note from,,I had a conversation with them regarding only getting 1 key when i purchased the car... They said that you only get what the car comes with,,I said but there are 2 active keys and was told it didn't matter but i could notify my insurance company if i was worried,,They then checked my registration and noted that i had had a new control unit fitted and my key was recoded so the problem of 2 active keys would now never arise. Hope this helps any one in a similar situation

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
right so the latest............my local dealer did tell me that it would cost £240 for a spare key. plus remote......... but did ask me if i had a reward bank account as most have a key loss cover....funny i do.... called and asked do i need to register the keys they said no.... i explained that i have 'lost'
the spare key...they said they would send me a claim form you have to get the key and then claim the cost back.....up to 1400 pound....so while i have to pay i will get back for the spare key...

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
It's possible to buy a key on fleabay and have it reprogrammed for less than 240GBP.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yes seen the keys one of the highstreet companies wont touch a key that they havent sourced so im wondering if Nissan would be happy to do the same....

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
an independent locksmiths are always happy for the trade imho, i have had keys cut from just a number before now (snaped key)

if you have a key cut and ready with an oem fob thay should program it i did this with vauxhall when helping do a 2.0 turbo conversion many moons ago

·
Registered
103 Posts
... and on that "Note" ....... can anyone recommend a firm who CAN provide a second key and sucessfully reprogramm the system?? Apart from a Nissan dealership I mean :)

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
programing is main dealer only as you need to have aconsult 3/4 system and the correct access card to do the security and thats only issued by nissan

only other way is go to a decent locksmith and getyou key copied or "cloned"thats just a standard key no fob
sorry i cant help with any locksmiths local to you as im down south in kent

·
Registered
12 Posts
My car only came with one key, I've got hold of a used key on ebay and a blank blade.

I'm going to get the blade cut to match at a local locksmiths andhttp://www.nissandatascan.com/ says it is compatible with a E11 Note and says that if I've got the immobilser pin it can erase all the keys then I can add my existing key and new key transponders.

Any one used this program? Any tips on getting the pin? I've read it can be calculated but I cannot find the sticker for the date code and encrypted pin.

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
no chance you will need the immobiliser pin and that's encrypted, not even the snap-on verus will do keys on a Nissan let alone a elm based obd2<div abp="1457">
<div abp="1458">there is no sticker - the older nats you can calculate the codes for but not the newer ones
<div abp="1458">
<div abp="1458">nissans electronics are a closed system unlike Vauxhall/GM or Vag
<div abp="1458">
<div abp="1458">I have an Autel and Delphi systems that wont touch Nats

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.