Nissan Note Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have 2 keys/fobs with my Note, but one of the key blades is not working well in the ignition because of ware on the blade,.

Can I just buy a blank blade/fob holder from ebay, Take the circuit board out of the defective key, put it in the new blank fob holder and get the blade cut at a locksmith?

If I do that will the key work with the car or does it still need to be programmed in the car system?

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
The plastic part of the key contains a transponder that works the NATS immobiliser (Nissan Anti-Theft System). It is a tiny flat chip, have a search online. You need to remove it from the old key, without breaking it) and put it in the new key.
An alternative is to put the new key and old key on the ring next to each other (you can pull the blade off the old key if you want when the screw is out), the aerial round the ignition lock should read the transponder in the old key.

You could buy a blank key with a transponder, and if you are very nice, Timpsons will clone the old transponder to the new one. If you do this, the "two keys on one ring" plan will not work, as the new transponder will interfere with the old one.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The plastic part of the key contains a transponder that works the NATS immobiliser (Nissan Anti-Theft System). It is a tiny flat chip, have a search online. You need to remove it from the old key, without breaking it) and put it in the new key.
An alternative is to put the new key and old key on the ring next to each other (you can pull the blade off the old key if you want when the screw is out), the aerial round the ignition lock should read the transponder in the old key.

You could buy a blank key with a transponder, and if you are very nice, Timpsons will clone the old transponder to the new one. If you do this, the "two keys on one ring" plan will not work, as the new transponder will interfere with the old one.
Many thanks for the advice.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts