Nissan Note Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just purchased a second hand Note nice car I have inspected front discs all ok .Am I right in assuming to remove rear drums I need to prise off the bearing cap with a screwdiver then undo the locknut to remove the rear brake drum many thanks for any reply

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Yes but try not to wreck the cap as it helps retain the bearing grease, check the bearing axial play first (max 0.05mm) and for any roughness, as you may want to replace the bearing at this stage. remove the axle nut and carefully remove drum and hub bearing. Note in manual states do not reuse the hub cap but if you expand the cap a little you can get away with it, re tightening torque for the axle nuts is 175Nm and If I remember correctly one is a right hand thread, the other is lefthand.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
mdvineng said:
I remember correctly one is a right hand thread, the other is lefthand.
That sort of common sense (so they tighten themselves when you go along) went out in the 1970s I'm afraid.

They are both right hand thread, so you must use threadlock or get new nuts when replacing them, or one of the wheels will come off later on.

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
use proper loctite too, the granvile stuff isnt very good
that reminds me i must do my handbrake

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
70's be about right for me (55 baby) though i did a friends ford rear bearings a few months ago and they were handed still! I must check my rear shoes before the cold weather sets in this winter.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts