Nissan Note Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can any one help? I was going to check all my brakes this afternoon, front wheels came off with a bit of a struggle (lots of white crud around the hubs) as for the rear wheels, well they just won't move, seems as if they been glued to the hubs. Anyone know how I can get them off?

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
a bar or a big hammer and hit the back of the tire and turn the wheel 1/4 - 1/2 a turn and repeat

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that, I'll give it a try in the the morning as I'm a bit worn out from all the swearing! need to calm down a bit

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
If you get them off, smear your favourite anti-seize paste around the collar on the hub, and the hole in the middle of the wheel, so they come off next time.

I'd put the bolts in and give them a few turns before hammering, if the wheel comes off it will clang down onto the outside and scratch. you only want to loosen the wheel so it will twist off.

As they are bolts, you could always whip them out and try turning the wheel with the handbrake on if you are a strong lad

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
the tyre blokegot a big sledge hammer out and did my rear ones is just a case of the alloy reacting with the steel on the drum,iirc a companydid do some thin teflon sheets to go inbtween but a dabof grease dose the trick

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
If your careful with where you put it, some wd40 will help loosen the Aluminium oxide bond with the steel drum just a small amount will do and leave overnight to work, then use the above jemmy methods.

·
Super Moderator
2,014 Posts
Had the same probs with my Peugeot 405, and did exactly that......worked a treat. Since then, I've avoided alloys.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A big thank you to everybody for all the advice
Early this morning armed with a can of WD40 a lump of wood and a club hammer my rear wheels finally came off.I shall be cleaning all that crud off the wheels and hubs and apply some copperslip paste on both surfaces hopefully avoiding the same problem in the future. The good news is that the brake linings are ok, not so go is that the front pads & disc's will need changing in approx 5000 miles (only done 25000 miles). Is this normal for a Note? Seems to me that the materials used are very soft,; have always managed to get at least 40000miles out of a set of pads on all my other cars.Whilst the wheels are off I've checked the tyres ( Conti's 185/65/15 )and found them all worn down to approx 2mm, looks like I'm going to need new tyres all round very soon!Mr Bank Manager please help

·
Registered
4,708 Posts
What is it with these bloody Contis? I have already noticed wear on my (gently driven) front tyres after only 3500 miles - ridiculous.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
asbestos free braking medium is a lot more abrasive hence increased wear rates, my fronts lasted 22k with a bit of life left.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Probably made from cream cheese! think I need to do a bit of research as to what to fit , have seen some good reports about Goodyear Efficient grip may even consider Michelin as they seem to last forever.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Conti's have good grip but this is because they are soft rubber, not really any need for them to be on the note its a not a sports car. I've actually heard of BMW drivers changing continetals after 5000 miles.
I purchased mid range tyres last week, FALKEN ZE 912's at £75 a corner, they seem fine plus after a motorway trip a little quieter than the conti's so i'm happy. It is possible to put budget tyres on at £50 each ish but i've had FALKEN tyres on another car and they are fine in all weather.

Had the same problem with wheel removal though, rears came off fine as they had both been off for puncture repairs in the last 3 yrs fronts were a bitch though. Just glad they are not steel wheels as it would have been worse.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
mdvineng. I'm pretty sure that asbestos free brake linings have been used since the early 1980's so what I can't understand is that I managed to get at least 40000miles from my front pads on all of my previous cars and the pads& disc' on the Note will only last me barely 30000miles. My driving is much the same as as it has been for the last30 year's (around town and a bit of motorway)Me thinks that Nissan are trying to make money out us

·
Super Moderator
2,014 Posts
You can only make pad wear comparisons with other Note's of the same spec. It's difficult to compare pad/disc wear with other cars.

I've done nearly 38000 miles on my original pads and discs, and still going strong. 2010 - 1.5 diesel with ABS.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
that'll be the extra engine braking being a diesel along with smoother driving style, as for mine being petrol and an auto

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
padsonmine arnt to bad apart from dusting upon the alloys, contis are so soft mine there on there wear limts just over 6k miles at around 5k miles thay statedto lose grip in the wet
MOT next month for me and a service, just taxed the car aswell

·
Registered
4,708 Posts
mrbobv said:
Conti's have good grip but this is because they are soft rubber, not really any need for them to be on the note its a not a sports car. I've actually heard of BMW drivers changing continetals after 5000 miles.

Have to say that the compund used for the Contis on the Note must be pretty poor.

I always had Contis on my Seat Alhambras and the side walls would get MOT advisories before they wore to anything under 3-4mm and that was usually around 35,000 miles.

The last set on my 2001 Alhambra were still well over the legal limit at about 3mm after 44,000!

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Got all the wheels cleaned up and back on this afternoon(got to go back to work tomorrow!)Had a look around online for for new tyres and think I've found a good deal for Goodyear Efficient [email protected] £66.50 each' all' in from My Tyres, think I might just give them a go

·
Registered
4,708 Posts
Can you post a link for the Goodyears please?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts