Nissan Note Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just been looking at my rear tyres and noticed that they are both wearing on the outside edges. Had a look at my workshop manual and all it gives is the toe-in values which is not adjustable as it's factory set! As far as I know there is no damage to the rear end and after only 25000 miles any wear on bushes etc should be minimal if any.Is there a possibility that the rear end may have been set up incorrectly at the factory or is it just another feature of the Note! (Front tyres are ok,tracking checked a few months ago)

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
It seems some do and some don't, there is no adjustment but a good laser set up garage would be able to tweak it using spacers between the subfame and stub axle mounts.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks like I might need to find someone who's good with laser alignment and has a whole lot of patience.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
shouldn't take long, there are 4 bolts holding each stub axle, simple case of loosening and slipping in shims then re-tighten and check.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Just stick the tracking gauge on the back wheels and I bet you will have too much toe in.

Mine had 1/4" toe in at the back. I fixed it with shims made out of feeler gauges between the backplate and the axle flange at the front edge. (You need to aim for 1/16 to 1/8 toe-in for stability)

I suspect Nissan just don't make them properly. It is a simple job to weld them straight in the first place, the factory must have a jig out.

Don't tell me they bend in use, I'll just come back with "too weak for the job then"

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone, will need to find friendly garage that won't keep charging every time they put on tracking gauges because I suspect it could be a bit hit and miss till it's correct, might be worth investing in some laser tracking gauges I saw on the net a while back, cost about £70 has anyone seen or used them?

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
It is fairly easy.
Measure the toe-in accurately.

Figure out how much you want to lose.
Divide by 15 to get the shim size.
Undo the 4 bolts behind the axle flange.
Slide one shim between the bolts at the front of the flange and the backplate on each side, the shim needs a handle so you can hold it in place, then tighten ( and re measure if you have no faith
)

Won't be far out, certainly within the massive tolerance that Nissan specify (rather an admission that they can't be bothered making it properly in the first place)
(1.3 to 5.3 mm toe-in in the manual; aim for 3mm)

Of course. I'm assuming that the axle is equally poorly made on each side

A 4 wheel laser alignment will tell you, but who cares if it crabs a little bit, as long as the tyres don't wear out

I ended up with a 6 thou shim each side (I cut the 8 thou feeler gauge
up without putting a handle on the cut shim, and couldn't hold it in
place) and got it down to 5/32"

If you can bend the tailing arms or kink the beam in the middle when driving I'd expect massive damage to the wheels and likely kinking the bodyshell as well.

Edited by: mnl

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
You could get it measured to confirm it is out of spec. and take it up with Nissan UK, and see if they will sort it, as it cannot have been right when it was manufactured

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
I wouldn't buy a DIY kit, you really need a level flat floor to do it on for reliable results or you will be misguided in what direction to adjust.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Think I'll wait till all this cold weather goes before I start trying to sort it out. Will need new tyres within the next few months so will get it sorted before they are fitted as old ones still have a bit of life left in them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts