Nissan Note Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my Note in for its second MOT yesterday and it failed for "Rear parkingbrake imbalanced...."
I had recentlynoticed, only once though,that the car had some difficulty in remaining stationary when the handbrake wasfully appliedon a steeperslope ofour localroad. I made a mental note to adjust up the handbrake cableto lessenthe 'travel'.

However, asthe main brakes were fine and parking brake seemed okay on normal, levelstops I let things go: I will be doing an annual fullservice shortly on the car.

I was alreadyat my local garage for the MOT so decided to let them sort out the failure, as the car was needed for a longish journey into Devon. They stripped out the problembrake and found that the self-adjuster locking device had malfunctioned, thereby allowingbrake shoe adjustment to be lost !!I had them check out the other side just to be sure. Brake test done againand aMOT pass ensued.

I haven't actually had the drums off myself yet but I believe the shoe-to-drum adjustment is a bit of a fiddle to do and lock off. Am I right?

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
It's a simple job, as the adjustment is automatic.The thing to do is clean and regrease the adjusters so they keep on working.

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
the shoe adjustment is automatic with the drum reassembled pump the break pedal about 10 times and the adjuster clicks out
if your on about removal iirc remove the abs sensor and you can then release the adjuster with a flat blade screw driver

common issue with the adjusters is there slightly greased and the dust from the shoes clogs them up

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you guys for your help,suggestions and diagrams of the rear brakes - have printed these out for future reference.
What I fail to comprehend is what on earth could havecausedthat adjuster to suddenlylose its settings. It did not actually disengage totally from the shoesand fall 'as a loose object' to the drum: I would had heard some noise, surely? Then again, it may have disengaged somehow from one end only, but how orwhy should that havehappened?

The car is nearly four years old and under 20,000 miles run and that mechanic yesterday told me the adjuster screw threadwas adequately lubricated and free,so seizure wasn't the cause either! That justleaves the top pull-off spring, which from the diagram does look somewhat weak but surely not?

I'm at a loss here on why and how.In all my manyyears of motor repair andservicing, I've never come across a brakeadjuster losing it's settings, if it was properly lubricated and free to adjustthat is.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
A weak return spring or the shoes sticking against the backplate are common reasons for the adjuster to not advance as the shoes don't move enough to latch to the next position. A sticking slave cylinder can cause this too. So if you do take it apart, make sure all are free to move and clean, along with the correct lubrication in the right places.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks again for the advice and the video link.
One thing is certain nowand that is I'll be doing these jobs myself from now on!
It'll do me good to get back on the spanners again, once the weather warms up!

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
If the handbrake cable is too tight, because someone adjusted it to make the handbrake work rather than let the adjusters take out the play, the adjusters won't be able to work.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Is the only way to adjust the back brakes by removing the drum? I had been told there was a hole which would allow adjustment with a screw driver. I had the back wheel off and had a look but there did not seem to be a hole on the back plate. will adjusting the brakes change the handbrake movement distance Mine moves to far at the moment

·
Super Moderator
1,856 Posts
Apart from adjustment, you'll need to knock out any brake dust residue. I have mine re-adjusted every 2nd service, and before the m.o.t is due.

I wonder if it would be worth drilling 2 opposing holes in the drum for adjustment, if it's feasible.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thanks thought that will get the drums off and sort it do I need to touch the ABS? Can I just remove drum adjust and replace the drum and wheel.

Thanks

·
Registered
6,725 Posts
The very last time I had a service done by Nissan, it was a major service, and they could not even be bothered to remove the wheels, I got a report back with my bill quoting that the rear brakes required adjusting up, when I picked this up with the service manager he said they only do a visual on the brakes, through the little hole in the rear,they don't adjust the rears as that is another 90 minute job
, and they would have to charge extra for it
. So I went ballistic unfortunately for them the service desk is in the showroom, and there were 3 or 4 new customers in there at the time. And when I loose it, I don't hold back, just a red mist comes down, I don't give a sh*t what other people hear, (say it as it is)
. So they expect you to drive around for another year with all that brake dust in the drums, even after a Major serviceI took it to my local village garage, they cleaned out and adjusted the rear brakes, £30.00
. Better than the 1.5 hours at Nissans rate
Still I learned a good lesson that day

But I would recommend using a main stealer while it's in warranty, don't give them a wriggle out chance of not doing warranty work because you had it done (services)by other garages
, because they will

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
avoid touching the abs sensor as they can be more hassle than there worth - got to do my handbrake at some point - it passed its mot last week but I like it a little more precise, damn myCDO - Its like OCD put in the correct order

·
Registered
6,725 Posts
If you look through "search" there has been posts where people have changed their front wheel bearings, and the ABS light has come on, because the bearings were not fitted correctly.

·
Super Moderator
1,856 Posts
coolhands said:
I did make a video of how to adjust the drum brakes if you'd like to watch it.

http://youtu.be/7G3QpQHMI3U

Excellent video.

But my drum and hub didn't want move, one bit. After 30 minutes of tapping and pulling, it wouldn't move. There is a very slight movement, but no further. Reassembled, and gave up. I think it needs a puller of somekind.

The handbrake is fine, 5 to 6 clicks.
......holds at 4......just.

If it passes the MOT.....(NCT in Ireland), I'll have to get a mechanic to have a look afterwards.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for the video. I have a 2008 Nissan Note. I wanted to see if I could adjust the brake shoes and opened up the drum. I am unable to find the adjuster in this as all I can see is a shaft/ plate that sits between the shoes. I have done shoe adjustments on other vehicles many a times therefore not the first time attempting drum brake adjustments. Could it be possible that some Notes come with a manually unadjustable mechanism, or am I totally overseeing something?

Thanks!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts