Nissan Note Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just discovered that the rear passenger side brake light is not working. The handbook is very poor on this. First, how do you actually get to it? I've removed the two 10mm screws but couldnt see how to pull the lens unit off the car
Secondly, any one else had this problem?
Is it likely to be a failed LED unit or a poor connection?
Finally is the part (LED bulbs) available anywhere other than a Nissan dealer??

Many thanks

Paul

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks - but that is the previous model - have already watched that.I think I will have to go to a Nissan dealer as I have yet to find anyone who sells the 4LED brake light.

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
If only.

Seriously there seem to be very few 'tips' shared by E12 owners, surely there must be some helpful 'hints' for the wider benefit of others.

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
Just took a look at the 2014 manual and it is absolutely no bloody help at all save to say 'contact a dealer'

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm rapidly coming to the thought that the E12 Note is the Austin Maxi of our time. A brilliant concept but not tested thoroughly enough before release.
I guess another trip to Derby is called for -I love the car - it does everything I want - but is it really going to be the car for me for 10 years and 100k miles. I am beginning to wonder.
Also if a bulb has failed I totally understand that would not be covered by warranty - but a unique LED that is dealer fit only..............

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
I cannot possibly comment as I will be 'flamed' by the disgruntled E12 owners and the 'fanboys' who refuse to recognise the car's shortcomings (understandable I guess to be in denial when you have shelled out your 'hard earned').

Save to say that I can only agree, albeit that the Maxi was not full of complex electronics that had not been thoroughly tested prior to launch.

Edited by: Nigel B

·
Registered
257 Posts
Cannot remember the last time I changed a bulb but even if they are LED's why not makethem owner serviceable, its not rocket science surely, you can buy automotive LED's in many outlets. Making them garage serviceable only is crazy.
But why do you need to go to Derby, if you are located in Coventry as your location suggests surely there is a Nissan dealer there.

We want ours to last 10 years as well and considering that the car we have just partedwith (Ford) wasone of the greatest automotive money pits according to many websites ours managed to be 100% trouble freeafter9 1/2years (but only 60,000 miles). Based on that I plan not to panic and see how things pan out. But if you read every internet review you would never buy any car, they are all disasters waiting to happen.

Loving ours so far.

PS Saw a Maxi 2 weeks ago. Thoughtwhen I saw itthat it was a major opportunity lost by Leyland. Dads boss had 3, the first, a very early onewas a mechanical disaster and finally died at a young age whilst on holiday in the lakes. He PX'd it there and then for another updated one which he ran for probably 7 or 8 years with no issues and no rust. He then PX'd that for another which was not only as unreliable as the first but it managed to rust away as well.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Having rejected the initial car I purchased from Derby and having had very good service from them I would rather go back to them. My dealings with Nissan Westway in Coventry were not happy. Basically I was kept waiting an hour for a pre arranged test drive. No apology. The rep really didnt want to know AND when I complained the car (Diesel) felt unresponsive he told me all diesels were like that. (My last 5 cars have all been diesels and before early retirement drove approx 18k per year). He talked about the pretty dash lights - only when we got back did he realise that the ECO feature had been on the whole time. Also he spoke much more about Ford's ecoboost engine than the Note.

I'm assuming as none of the circle of LEDs is working that it is a loose connection. However after taking a month to fail to sort two electrical problems with the car I rejected I am not holding my breath.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thunderbird. I love mine too. Drove many other cars before opting for the Note Diesel Tekna. The flexibility is just what I need. However I have read elsewhere that it should really be called the Nissan Guinea Pig! It has all the practicality and sensibleness of a granddad car - but with the style pack on actually looks quite cool.And I thought my last car (Saab 93 Tid with 110000 miles) had dodgy electrics!!

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
Funny how we can look back on what 'killed' BL.

One of the best cars I ever owned was an Allegro 1750SS, bloody hell it was fast for the time.

I think it was the Maestro and Montego that did for BL.

The build quality was atrocious. They were assembled on a line where the roof panel was 'sniffed' by robots after the car had been filled with an inert gas, to test for leaks. The robot would mark the roof with a puff of dust to signify that it has ,smelt' a leak and then this could be attended to.

The problem was that the line received a 'no fault' bonus with the result that the marks were simply wiped off with no remedial action taken.

Unsurprisingly, the bloody things leaked like a sieve!

·
Registered
257 Posts
Ours replaced a C-Max. Initially we thought about another C-Max but in reality the current ones are way too big and way to expensive. Then we looked at a B-Max, no thanks, ugly, expensive and that was its good points. At the suggestion of a colleague off to Citroen and had a look at the C3 Picasso. Not too sure about the square looks but good space and not too big as a second car. Our preferred petrol engine was useless on the test drive but the salesman was insistent we would be fine with a diesel. When I asked about DPF's he said they had never had an issue with one so after consideration I thought OK, if they will sign a paper saying that our type of use should not cause DPF issues but if it does they will sort FOC then we will have one, still waiting to hear from them, no surprise there.
Only had to walk out of the Citroen showroom to the next one to look at the Note. Basicallyit tickedall the boxes without even trying. Even with all the toys and the supercharged engine it was £1000 less than we paid for the C-Max in 2005 (and we got £4000 off that as well). No VED to pay, servicingincluded inthe deal and so far its mpg is virtually the same as the diesel C-Max and the wife is well happy.

Only issue we had with the salesman was his PX offer. It dropped £1000 over the weekend, don't think they actually wanted the C-Max after thinking about it. Not an problem, sold within 24 hours on Autotrader for £100 more than their first offer.

Electrics seem to be the one issue that has actually got worse in cars over the years. Our last fewcars have been mechanically bomb proof and totally rust free and we have been lucky not too many electrical issues but faults like brake pedal sensors falling off, vacuum sensors failing, central locking annoyances should not really have happened. How hard can it be.

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
Rust and the engines are not the weak points (especially on the Diesel where the Renault engine is pretty well sorted after all this time).

The weak point is the electrics and most, if not all, of the issues posted about the E12, relate to either electrics or firmware.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Just have to keep our fingers crossed.
We are new to Nissans but Dad bought 2 in the 90s (owned from about 1995 to 2003) and from memory each had one fault whilst he had them. A fault window switch and a fault central locking switch so both electrical faults. Both sorted FOC. If ours is as good we will be happy people.

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
As the op asked so nicely I will help

its the same setup as the e11 bolts and a stud arrangement with the addition of a clip you need to release there led "style" lights they use a standard bulb (380 type) or (21/5w)

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for the diagram. That was what I was trying to do but as it wouldnt shift easily I decided against using force.
Have been back to the dealer principal. He assures me it is a dealer fit part only as it is a sealed unit.
Now for the best part.The part is not in stock and has to be ordered.
So I have to drive around with an illegal rear brake light whilst a part is ordered.

Nissan - this is a total nonsense.
I wonder if they will attempt to charge me???
I will not pay willingly: saying that any part which is sealed and involves changing the whole light assembly AND has to specially ordered should be covered by warranty.
So much for being a law abiding motorist who always changes bulbs as soon as they fail. The Saab even flashed a warning when a bulb blew.
Annoyed is not the word!

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
1 - 20 of 31 Posts