Nissan Note Owners Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

Registered
Nissan Note 2010 1.6 Ntec Auto!
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I thought it would be a good idea to check the rear break shoes. I took the shell off removed the Cap.
And with a bit of effort managed to unscrew the bolt holding the drum on.
The Drum is quite rusty, I don't know when they were last removed. I tried taking the drums off but they won't shift. Handbrake is off the Drums turn freely. But their not coming off馃槺
I've tapping with a hammer tried screwdrivers and pry bars. I put the wheel back on, tried to lever the drum off with that nothing. If I look where the Nut joins the hub. Their appears to be a silver disc at the bottom of the thread, I'm hoping it's nothing to do with the Nut.
Ian

Registered
There is usually a hole in the back of the brake backing plate, sometimes it has a rubber grommet in it. Using a screwdriver you can turn a small notched wheel to release the tension on the brake shoes making the drum pass over them for removal. Remember to turn the notched wheel when you put things back together or the rear brakes wont work very well. You can also do the same by pulling the handbrake lever up and down repeatedly until the brakes begin to bite on the drum.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Sineu.
I've given up for today. Put everything back as it was. I kid myself on that I can still work on Cars unfortunately I'm past my sell by Date 馃榾. Need to let someone younger and fitter than me,to carry on the work.
Thanks
Ian

Registered
The silver disc under the nut is the outside of the inner race of the bearing.

In all the youtube videos, you just remove the big nut, 30mm I think, and the drum just slides off the spindle complete with the bearing. I took one of mine off once, and saw that the brake shoes weren't worn, so I've not messed since, the back brakes hardly wear unless you drive with the handbrake on, and there is a warning to stop that..

If the drum is worn, there is a lip that stops it coming off over the shoes, you can feel it as the drum will move a little, then stop and you can't rotate it. you can use a puller, or put the wheel back on, and undo the bolts about 10mm then snatch the wheel on & off. Assuming it doesn't fall off the jacj, it should slide hammer the drum off, wrecking the shoe retainers in the process, but they usually carefully hammer back into shape (writing from experience). I've never found one of those little holes that you are supposed to be able to poke a screwdriver in and ratchet the shoes off. If ther is a lip, grind it out so the drum comes off next time.

You are supposed to replace the hub nut, as the nylock is single use, and it is all that holds the wheel on- I just put a bit of screwlock on the thread, so I doubt if it will come off again anyway, and if any got under the bearing it will need a puller to get it off, I wonder if that has happened to yours? If it was a rattling good fit, the last owner could have put a bit of bearing lock on the spindle.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks
I was thinking of buying New drums with the Bearings already installed. Can get two Drums plus the Shoes for about 拢130. All I have to do is get the old ones off 馃槀

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi
Have been having another try at removing the Drums,still no luck. Someone mentioned their is an adjuster which I could use to slacken off the Shoes which I think are holding the Drum from coming off.
I had a look around back of the drum couldn't find anything,but on the front looking through the bolt holes their appears to be something metallic looking it's hard to see it properly. Have taken a Pic which I'll post up.
Automotive tire Tire Wood Snout Circle

Nose Eyebrow Eye Eyelash Human body

Hope someone can tell me which way to movebtit to slacken the Drums off
Thanks
Ian

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Bought a drum puller off Amazon and that did the trick.the old drum was badly in need of replacing and the shoes were worn down on one but not the other.
I bought brand new Shoes and 2 Drums with Bearings fitted. Thought I'd put them on today .when it pulled the old Drum the inner bearing was still on the shaft the bearing race had stuck and the rest was in the Hub. Managed to get everything off and cleaned up. Put new Shoes and drum back together not forgetting to grease up. The new hubs come with new nut and cover 馃憤.
Time was getting away as the Wife has to get to work figured I'd do the other Drum and Brakes tomorrow. Took it out for a quick test and the ABS and the esp light were on the Dash.
I'm hoping tomorrow when I replace the other Drum I can reset the lights
Ian

Registered
Note dCi Tekna 2017
Bought a drum puller off Amazon and that did the trick.the old drum was badly in need of replacing and the shoes were worn down on one but not the other.
I bought brand new Shoes and 2 Drums with Bearings fitted. Thought I'd put them on today .when it pulled the old Drum the inner bearing was still on the shaft the bearing race had stuck and the rest was in the Hub. Managed to get everything off and cleaned up. Put new Shoes and drum back together not forgetting to grease up. The new hubs come with new nut and cover 馃憤.
Time was getting away as the Wife has to get to work figured I'd do the other Drum and Brakes tomorrow. Took it out for a quick test and the ABS and the esp light were on the Dash.
I'm hoping tomorrow when I replace the other Drum I can reset the lights
Ian
Do the new drums come with the ABS ring fitted, I know on some cars you need to remove it from the old ones and fit it to the replacement drum. Also check you haven鈥檛 damaged the sensor or wiring.
(not familiar yet with the note drums as I haven鈥檛 removed mine yet, but it鈥檚 on my list of things to do this summer, along with removing and cleaning the DPF and fitting a tow bar)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the reply. I couldn't say if the new drum comes with ABS ring. It looked like a normal bearing.
The original fell to pieces when removed.
Thanks
Ian

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Update.
Turns out the New drums didn't come with ABS rings.
I've been trying to remove the old ABS rings to fit on to the New drums. I can't seem to shift them. Any advice on how to remove them ?

Registered
Like all jobs that we find impossible all the other boys make them look easy.

Automotive tire Gas Wood Automotive wheel system Metal

Keep rotating the drum and gradually work it off by gently tapping the lever with a hammer- I'd price up some new ones to be on the safe side, looks like it could easily end up in tears to me ;) I suppose you could warm the ring up with a blowlamp to expand it if it wont move.

The whole video

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've managed to remove the new hub and installed the new abs ring.put it all back together and the ABS and Esp lights have now gone from the Dash.
I intend to do the other Hub tomorrow weather permitting. I've taken the Car for a test after fitting the new Brakes and Hub. I'm noticing a noise from the rear driver side hub the one that changed. It sounds like something rotating more so when I'm braking. Please tell me it's the shoes breaking in to the new Hub 鈽

Registered
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The Sago Continues
Fitted the other Hub and new Shoes this afternoon.
Taken it for a test drive brakes feel a bit better.thr rear offside hub, which I did first was making a noise yesterday sounded like something rubbing
Well today it's a whistling noise from the same side, tried a couple of emergency stops on a quote road and the brakes stop on a dime . The whistling rubbing noise disappears when braking ?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts