Nissan Note Owners Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
Please excuse me if this has been asked before, but...

My radio/sat nav cuts out occasionally, when I pull away. Not all the time - if I move off from traffic lights, after the car has been in neutral, when I move to first gear, the radio stops and the sat nav panel goes off, but just for a second.

Is there a "magic fix" or do I need to take it to a grown-up..?

Ta,
Rushbo

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
Pull the unit and check for loose connections.

AFAIK the Connect, once failed, is irreparable (and certainly not at a Nissan dealer who will simply offer a replacement at....sit down......£15-1800).

They are dreadfully susceptible to heat damage (smart move to fit them next to the heater!) and as all the components used are surface mount onto the PCBs no one wants to touch them.

Hopefully, it's just a loose connection, if not, there are FAR better direct replacements out there and a forum search will reveal some suggestions,

·
Registered
41 Posts
Mine has been doing this on occasion too for the past year or so. Always when pulling away when the engine is cold. I'm pretty sure it started after it got serviced. I'd be interested to know what it was.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mine does this too!!
The radio gets clearer and slightly louder when driving up hills.

I'm hoping it's a loose connection
But haven't been brave enough to pull the unit yet.

Any updates on anyone with similar issues?

·
Registered
6 Posts
My 2016 Note has been dropping audio for a few months, it’s every 20 Mins or so, seems to mute for about 20 seconds then comes back on, same on radio, phone, Aux, I have done a factory reset (without the phone paired) but still the same, looks like I will be looking for a new head unit

·
Registered
8 Posts
Funnily enough mine started doing this about two years ago, used to be on pull away, but since I changed the timing belt I think I've noticed it at a different time now when I slow to change to second (don't drive it to often as its the wife's), seems to be at low revs.

·
Registered
6,725 Posts
There have been many posts about the "Connect unit, whether it be connect 1 or connect 2, and I believe there's a connect 3.
Please take note of "NigelB" post as some of you posted after his post. The connect does suffer from heat stroke, as it's right at the top of the dash, and the sun through the screen cooks it :crying:. The connect was built to a budget.
Its a new unit you have to purchase, your local car audio shop can help you out and a lot cheaper. As for a sat-nav, get yourself a Tomtom or a Garmin, the majority of their models come with free lifetime updates.

"Rushbo" Welcome to the forum, can you give more details about your Note.
Year,
Model,
Engine,
and Gearbox, Auto /manual

·
Registered
6,725 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 65 plate diesel. Here is my problem. It's been happening for about 8 months.

The Bluetooth, radio and phone all go quiet for about 20 seconds and then comes back. The phone playing podcasts on the end of the Bluetooth keeps playing (rather than stops).

Sometimes this won't happen for 20 minutes or so, sometimes it's every 5 seconds. Eventually the centre console flashes bright and turns off before rebooting. If I'm following the satnav I will have to put the address back in, but it will be stored in previous journeys. Sometimes it will start cutting out again straight after rebooting, other times it won't.

Although there appears a pattern to the build up to the reset, there is no pattern of when it will happen. Heat, time on, weather, type of journey/driving, I can't spot anything, although my Electronic Engineer brain is saying it's over heating and tripping out, or a short (hence the bright display flash), I'm at a loss.

In a way I'm heartened to know others are having the same/similar problem.

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
The later Connect systems had a rudimentary thermal cut-out fitted to 'protect' against the thermal shock issues of the earlier units but it is still far from a solution to the poor quality surface mount work in the unit. Couple this with the siting of a thermally sensitive unit above the heater (not great) and the lifecycle of the unit is impaired.

Not much you can do aprtfrom pull the unit and try some form of thermal barrier installation.

Reactions: kptg

·
Registered
6,725 Posts
"Thermal barrier installation". = Take it out and chuck it in the skip. it's knackered :crying: :wink:.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks Nigel B. I pulled the surround off easily and removed the unit (4 screws) to check the connections at the back were OK. They were. I returned the unit and then placed the surround on loose to allow heat to escape more easily. It sits about quarter of an inch/6mm proud of where it was and doesn't move around. This has made a difference. It doesn't 'trip out' as often, but I have noticed it does 'trip out' more on journeys that are after another journey, which validates what Nigel B is saying about heat build up. With the surround loose I was able to feel the unit and it does get hot on the left hand side. Initially I also put a heat shield on the 'pocket' where the units sits, but this didn't help.

I have thought about a heat sink on the casing and even running a USB fan in the pocket because there is a lot of space in there.
Has anybody mentioned these issues to Nissan?
Does anybody else have any suggestions?

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
You would think that Nissan would be interested. Of course, they are not for as long as the audio system lasts for the warranty period (12 months as opposed to 36 months on the car) they are 'in the clear'.

It is a poor unit, built down to a price by Blaupunkt/Bosch. They could/would have built a far better unit given a few more quid but corners were cut.

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
The real issue is that once the surface mount connections have been 'heat degraded' there is virtually nothing that you can do,

Some thermal compound and a heatsink will only provide a temporary fix but if you are thinking of keeping your Note then a replacement unit (NOT another connect) is really the only solution.

There are plenty of threads about suitable replacements and fitting as Connect failure is, sadly, all too common.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 65 plate diesel. Here is my problem. It's been happening for about 8 months.

The Bluetooth, radio and phone all go quiet for about 20 seconds and then comes back. The phone playing podcasts on the end of the Bluetooth keeps playing (rather than stops).

Sometimes this won't happen for 20 minutes or so, sometimes it's every 5 seconds. Eventually the centre console flashes bright and turns off before rebooting. If I'm following the satnav I will have to put the address back in, but it will be stored in previous journeys. Sometimes it will start cutting out again straight after rebooting, other times it won't.

Although there appears a pattern to the build up to the reset, there is no pattern of when it will happen. Heat, time on, weather, type of journey/driving, I can't spot anything, although my Electronic Engineer brain is saying it's over heating and tripping out, or a short (hence the bright display flash), I'm at a loss.

In a way I'm heartened to know others are having the same/similar problem.
I have a this same issue, what did you do in the end?

·
Registered
1 Posts
This has been happening to my radio/cd/sat nav on my 19 reg Juke. It started about 6 months ago. After driving back down M11 was diverted due to accident. Going through essex my sat nav Cut out four times.
And advice please?

·
Registered
1 Posts
This has been happening to my radio/cd/sat nav on my 19 reg Juke. It started about 6 months ago. After driving back down M11 was diverted due to accident. Going through essex my sat nav Cut out four times.
And advice please?
I've had the same issue with my Nissan Note for over a year. Unfortunately the problem persisted and got worse to the point that it was intermittently stopping every 5 minutes.
Having read what everyone else was saying I figured that there's no point in paying anyone to identify the problem when the chances are it's going to be down to it being a cheap piece of audio equipment.
This week I had a new stereo fitted. The stereo itself was £150. Installation £95 plus extras £90. This doesn't have Apple play etc. No Sat nav display but I use my phone anyway.
So far it has made a huge difference. I recommend just getting a new stereo fitted by a speciallist

1 - 17 of 17 Posts