Nissan Note Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all again.... Starting to think maybe our note is a bit of a lemon!!

So I realised today the car was blowing rather hot air, bit odd but never the less it was hell outside so ignored the issue... All the fans inside car work and as such was content, no ice cold air con but guessed it would be needing a top up so never the less didn't mind.

One thing however has now peaked my interest... I can't hear or see the cooling fan kick in. This afternoon I drove home from work (20 miles) it was 30 degrees outside so would have thought the ol fan would have kicked in but I got home, had a look under bonnet and nothing. Fan was still, not even an indication it had moved. So what I'm confused with is.

A. Surely the fan would kick in after this distance....
B. Why wasn't any warning temp lights triggered or eml, both go through same routine when ignition is engaged

We really love the motor but I'm growing slightly concerned.

Regards

Rob

·
Registered
149 Posts
The radiator fan will only kick in when the engine approaches approx 110C on most cars. In normal use at anything above a crawl the air moving through the radiator will keep the thing down to temp. The fan is pretty much only there for when the car is stationary which is when there is no air movement through the radiator.

I believe using the A/C will cause the fan to run more but never bothered to check myself.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The radiator fan will only kick in when the engine approaches approx 110C on most cars. In normal use at anything above a crawl the air moving through the radiator will keep the thing down to temp. The fan is pretty much only there for when the car is stationary which is when there is no air movement through the radiator.

I believe using the A/C will cause the fan to run more but never bothered to check myself.
Thanks buddy,

You are totally right. I drove home, sweated my goolies off sat in it for ten mins then it purred into life!!

I hate buying used cars, I get really twitchy with em lol

·
Registered
45 Posts
Since no temperature gauge on these vehicles, order an 8 euro odb2 dongle to get several basic readings on to your Mobile Phone. Amongst cooling fluid temperature. She seldom or never hits 110. Search amazon.uk i.e. if you look for an e327 dongle . Be sure to order the right version android or IOS. This will also allow you to log drive parameters for a while to judge vehicle performance. A lot better. Do this before trouble arrives to know good situation! So called zero readings

·
Registered
45 Posts
Why you own a note? Cheap wheels and great family car for 4 tall persons plenty head and leg space. Great for moving stuff around. Spending 10.000 euros for a failed Nissan Pulsar was a no go option. Downside uncomfortable ride, gas guzzler, too small airco cap. No decent tyres will fit. Mixed lemon. High maintenance bills.

·
Registered
830 Posts
@Rob57 You covered most of the reasons why i got rid of my Note.
One you missed though was that the same fault kept cropping up exactly 6 months apart for me, that was the " straw that broke the camels back " for me.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Rob,on the plus side I agree with your comments
However my ride is comfortable, corners well, great mpg, 400 miles to a tankfull of petrol, has a good range of tyres, and low maintenance bills( I do all my own servicing/repairs). It is reliable, cheap to run and has fair performance for a 1.6. But then I have an E11 version which appears to be more reliable than the E12.

·
Registered
830 Posts
I too had the E11 ( diesel 1.5 ) version and it was a total bag of sh!t.
It was always damp inside even in the summer, in the winter the inside of the windows were frozen,always illuminating the red engine light,always giving the same fault codes every 6 months for the same component that it lit up previously for.
The Note is a cheap car built DOWN to a price and has put me off Nissan for life.
I did all my own servicing and reapirs where i could and i have NEVER spent so much time and money on spares as i did with that car.I am so glad i got rid of it.
The car that relaced it is petrol and virtually does the same mpg as the diesel note did,same road tax too and spares / servicing costs and insurance are cheaper.
It could be argued that i got a " friday afternoon car" ( just as the shift was about to knock off ) but it was honestly the worst car i have ever owned.

·
Registered
45 Posts
@Rob57 You covered most of the reasons why i got rid of my Note.
One you missed though was that the same fault kept cropping up exactly 6 months apart for me, that was the " straw that broke the camels back " for me.
You are darn right, every sensible guy having to do with cars but not Nissan/Renault suggests to sell it of and get other wheels. I am pretty sure our co-owners face same troubles. The garage owner maintaining my Mitsubishi Lancer had a look in national trouble database regarding nissan when I offered my note to troubleshoot. Full of unsolved problems and it seemed to him nissan was getting away with things they should not. Called it shameless. Nowadays cars at only 120.000 Kms should not have these kind of problems. It is 70's performance, about it. Then not a big problem because you got far end with simple toolbox and no MOT.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts