Nissan Note Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well the connect died yesterday with a little puff of magic blue smoke, I put the other Nissan (facelift) stereo I had in but it comes up with a eq error as I haven't got the other 12 pin plug

In 2 minds what to do

get another connect

or

get a aftermarket stereo (I have a tomtom xl if I ever need sat nav)Edited by: flash22

·
Registered
4,708 Posts
Option 3

Get the connect fixed. Little puff of smoke sounds like a rectifier or fuse. Open it up and take a look.

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
all ready have its blown a diode clean off the board and destroyed 6 pcb tracks (the main 12v line on the pcb runs right along the the edge of the case) there is no telling what else its taken out, main problem is finding the pcb diagrams I have tried everywhere even my local sources

all it does is light up with a blank white screenEdited by: flash22

·
Registered
4,708 Posts
Sounds, to use a technical term, phuqed.

Breakers? The guy in the midlands that does them? (might do a decent discount if you are simply swapping out).

·
Registered
37 Posts
Very sorry to hear that, Flash -- especially since you have been so helpful in getting mine to work (thanks mate).Mine has only been going for a week, but I'd be interested to hear from others about whether you could live without the Connect!
My other vehicles don't have this device, so I make do with Harman Kardon iPod players and a Garmin satnav.

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've now sorted out the standard radio, I crimped up a pin on a bit of wire and grounded the wire (pin 29 on the 12 pin connector)bunged the code in I now have cd and radio what's better than nothing - got to go back to using cd's tho if I can find my cd case

think another connect is in order, got to work out some finances first - such is life

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
As to repairing pcb's, sometimes the obvious burnt bits are not the fault that caused it but just the result of what failed due to overload from the bit that did, ie just replacing the obvious can result in the new ones following suit,
been there many times.

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
oh yes, its taken out a lot of the voltage supply circuit and blown 2 voltage regs

I started out in tv, video and audio repairs in my teens, bit rusty as I don't do many repairs these days and if I do they usually high end items as a lot of electronics are throw away

Last tv I did was a 52" Samsung

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
thought you might know that
, I repair High end audio stuff at home and some seriously hi-tech stuff at the Uni (mostly making it do something extra to standard). I'm sticking to my std Note audio and using a garmin sat nav when needed.

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You never know what peoples backgrounds are if you say something is burnt out its easy to understand rather than go into deep technical detail

on another note. I have found how to reflash the connect by using a segger jtag emulator the eeprom is 128k with a 64mb of flash and its simple to change codes

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
hope that "flash" wasn't the cause of the smoke

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
no it was in the car at the time

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have another connect coming it needs a code but I may just rob it for parts instead or swap the eeprom from mine into it then I wont have any code issues or hassle getting one

either way the new connect was cheeeeeap, what pleased the bank manager

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
swap the eeprom far simpler and much less problematic or you could end up with two dead units! less challenging but the financial committee will love you in the end

·
Registered
238 Posts
This stuff is way over my head, don't you wish for the old days when everybody could understand what was being said

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ah its simple stuff, the hard part is finding the information documents on the chips and programming

I still play with valves in wireless sets

·
Registered
4,708 Posts
flash22 said:
I still play with valves in wireless sets
As did I until a few years ago including restoring a lovely valve radio in a Rover 90. Used to freak people out as the radio 'kicked-in' after it warmed up

Still lucky enough to have a local shop which sells valves and other paraphernalia from 'the good old days'.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts