Nissan Note Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, just wanted to get some feedback and thoughts on petrol...

So many if not all petrol garages offer a more expensive higher octane petrol, above the standard 95RON, and I wondered if it is worth paying more for a higher grade petrol for my 1.6 note?

I have looked at the websites for them, BP - ESSO - SHELL - Tesco and it gets a bit confusing!

Do you guys have any experience or thoughts on this?

Any reply is very much appreciated! THANKS!

·
Super Moderator
2,014 Posts
As a car is the second highest 'material' investment some people will make(after the house), it pays to look after it.
Like a human, if you eat crap you pay the consequences. We can eat some crap, but not live on it.

Treat your car the same.........a bit of 'inferior' petrol don't hurt, but make sure it's a top up, and not a tank full.

If the petrol is too cheap, there is a reason.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Boysie, I was thinking of the Tesco momentum petrol, I think it is 99RON so gives a bit more umph... to the engine!

·
Super Moderator
2,014 Posts
Drawn4u said:
Thanks Boysie, I was thinking of the Tesco momentum petrol, I think it is 99RON so gives a bit more umph... to the engine!

Again, you get what you pay for.....it may well be 99RON, but does that mean Tesco fuel is better, coz it's cheaper. There are additives put in petrol(whatever RON), and these are expensive, so if it's cheap.........buyer beware.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK, so Boysie do you have a recommendation for the supplier who has a quality petrol with additives that will 'love' the Notes engine?

BP Ultimate looks good as does Shell and Esso? So many to chose from!

What do you out into your tank Boysie?

Again any help is very much appreciated!

·
Super Moderator
2,014 Posts
Mine is a diesel, but the same applies.

I use the good stuff mostly(Esso etc), with the odd cheapy top up(if there is one).

There is/was 'laundered' diesel for sale here, which will wreck most modern diesel engines.

Use the best petrol available, but add some cheaper stuff if you feel the need.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you Boysie! Advice much appreciated!

·
Registered
4,708 Posts
I used to go to the local Tesco (sheerly for convenience) but as the local Esso is now 4p per litre cheaper, guess who's getting my business now?

·
Registered
167 Posts
I've been driving for 27 years and I just put the best price one in. I've never noticed the slightest bit of difference however I saw Fifth Gear the other day who did a comparison and during the test on a New Golf GTI found that the Shell V Power was giving the highest bhp readout on a rolling road but it was marginal difference. There was a clear difference between the readouts from Supermarket stuff and the posh stuff with higher RON reading however you were talking a couple of BHP on a car that was knocking out around 240 bhp any way. My opinion is keep your car serviced, keep your tyres at the right presure and put the cheapest in. Lets face it I'm running a Nissan Note 1.6 auto, if I was running a Rolls Royce or a Bentley I would put the posh stuff in.I would imagine if the rolling road test was on my car I would be lucky to get a BHP increase which would not be noticed.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You know I think I will try a full tank of each over time to see if I notice a difference. I will report back my findings!

·
Super Moderator
2,014 Posts
I wasn't even thinking about the miniscule power increase, just thinking about keeping the engine and and fuel system in one piece.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I was commenting about the Fifth Gear thing as it was a direct comparison about the fuels and what they do but this experiment was based upon power differences and price alone. I would hazard a guess that the higher Ron fuels are better as suggested only by the results that came out during the tests. One thing it clearly did not mention during the tests was that the so called inferior fuels (Supermarkets) damaged your engine or damaged the fuel systems. There's no doubt in my mind that if I was the owner of an exotic car worth lots of money I would certainly use the superior fuels (just in case).
In 27 years of motoring I have used only the cheaper fuels and have never had a mechanic say that any faults found on my car was due to cheaper brand fuels.

I guess I'm just a tight ar**! I think that it was clear from the tests on Fifth Gear that you might as well use any fuel.

·
Registered
36 Posts
No comment on supermarket petrol vs the Big Boys, though I'd point out that they all source from the same refineries.

Running a higher octane rating than is specified is literally burning money. It won't do any harm, but neither will it do any good. Turbo/super charged cars can fart about with the amount of boost when using high octane petrol, but it doesn't make a lick of difference in a standard engine. The timing and compression ratios are tuned to use the rated fuel in the owner's manual.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks Chz... very good point! My local Tesco has unleaded at £136.9 a litre..... nice!

·
Registered
167 Posts
I've been doing my homework on this very interesting subject (NOT!) and having read some stuff the dearer stuff appears to have a lot more detergents in it which clean your engine and reduce carbon build up and things like that. Some of the stuff states that using this stuff will remove some of the carbon and mucky deposits so its worth using now and again I guess. I'm going to be trying it out.

·
Super Moderator
2,014 Posts
BOBBYBINGO said:
I've been doing my homework on this very interesting subject (NOT!) and having read some stuff the dearer stuff appears to have a lot more detergents in it which clean your engine and reduce carbon build up and things like that. Some of the stuff states that using this stuff will remove some of the carbon and mucky deposits so its worth using now and again I guess. I'm going to be trying it out.

You got the nail on the head Bobby. Most cheapo petrols don't have these additives, or less of them. Yes, most petrol comes from the same refineries, but they don't have the additives added(or not as much).
I think you need to run the 'good stuff', more often to get the benefits you talk of.
Over time, it will save you more fuel as the engine components will be cleaner, and also you will not lose as much power.

Anyway, as always........'Ya get wot ya pay for'.

Edited by: Boysie

·
Registered
167 Posts
Boysie, I'm going to give this pricey stuff a go. My wife only does local trips and the auto does not really get up to any speed very often. In fact I think its has spent the time that we have owned it below 40 mph apart from the odd A road and very infrequent motorway run. Will try the V power because it sounds good and will make me feel like I'm driving something very special.I sometimes add the good old Redex when its on offer which is not very often, cant say I notice any difference when I add this but I guess it protects and cleans the stuff you don't see.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Let me add here that tomorrow I pick up my Note from the dealer with my Mercedes going in as a part exchange. The reason I mention this is because the merc is a 3ltr deseil and last year I had some major work carried out due to deposits of fuel stuff, in other words the cheap Asda deseil I was putting in the tank was bad for it! I switched to BP ultimate deseil to keep the engine at its best and recommended by the garage who carried out the work for me.

So now I'm getting my Note, and I'm very excited about getting it tomorrow, I want to look after the engine the best I can.

Hence the question on petrol, as my note is 1.6 petrol model and the fact that I have not used petrol for sometime with the merc.

Not the most interesting topic I know but it's like food for our cars and if we feed them on fast food, rather than the 5 a day scenario, they will get 'fat' and unhealthy!

I'm still a bit confused about Tesco momentum as I know it's 99Ron versus BP ultimatum which is 97Ron, is there a big difference I wonder?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Drawn4u. Hello which Merc did you have? I've recently been considering an R class with the 224bhp diesel 7 speed auto as I've got 4 kids ranging from 10 months to 9 years so I have been looking at the LWB six seater version. Only thing scaring the cr*p out of me at this stage is the £460 a year road tax!!!!! Got the insurance for £469 fully comp and protected but not sure yet. Terrible on fuel but I'm not doing many miles.Have a look at the Shell "V" power, seems to get good reviews.
You will love the Note, best small car I've ever owned by miles.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts