Nissan Note Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a bit of idle chit chat about the above topic. I've invested a bit of ££ in silver bullion. Started in Jan 2008 and not really got a lot but my interest level on this subject is quite high.Have a look at silver bullion 999 grade as a long term investment. Silver was around $4 an ounce ten years ago and last year it hit over $48 an ounce.
Its certainly an inflation beater and for anyone with any $$££ in the bank earning nil interest may be worth a look.
I got my bro interested in silver & he put $6500 into it (he lives in USA) and took delivery, this was about three 2-2.5 years ago. When the price went up nice and steadily last year his stash was worth $18500 after 13 months!!! He did not cash in as he is keeping long term for his retirement.
Some of this value ($18500) has now dropped off as silver is very volatile with the price up and down like a yoyo.
One thing which is almost certain is that if he has his stash for ten years and its value only doubles then he has done very well and has at least kept up with inflation, one thing is for sure is that silver bullion is an inflation beater. I'm certain that my brothers stash will way more than double its value in ten years.
I'm linking some interesting stuff for you all to have a look at if you wish. I'm not selling anything or giving financial advice, I invest a little in silver but that is my choice, have a read and ask a question or two if you wish. With me its about not having all eggs in one basket, the choices are limited but I feel that precious metals are a worthy long term alternative to say a savings endowment or money in the bank.

P.S Silver is a better long term investment than gold in my opinion.

Edited by: flash22

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
With the negligible interest rates it is about the only low risk investment nowadays.

Personally, I think UK gold coinage seem better, as being legal tender, there is no VAT.
20% of your investment in bullion goes straight to the taxman.

A 1 oz Britannia sells for £1,179.55 now, and the gold is worth £1,102.70
1 oz ingots of platinum cost £1446.79 and scrap value is 1,048.79, also coin is always worth a tad more than scrap value.

(I've always hankered after a couple of dozen kilogramme bars of platinum though
)

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes I follow the silver, gold, platinum and rhodium markets. Silver is my favoured investment just simply because its affordable for just about anyone with £25 - £30 in their pocket & for that you get a nice shiny bar or coin.I started buying from ebay & you don't pay VAT but obviously most of the time pay a premium as its on ebay.
Good thing with a nice big kilo block of 999 purity silver you can bag one of these for about £800 from ebay. Nice to buy and keep for a long time.
Juts put in the search on ebay 999 silver bullion it will bring up lots of stuff.

·
Super Moderator
2,014 Posts
I'm at the bottom end of the market. Any scrap metal has a reasonable price these days, especially when you get it for free.Why recycle your Ali drink cans, when you can weigh them in at the scrappy.

I've taken all sorts of metals to the scrap yard, from Alloy bike frames, to cast iron engine blocks. Copper wiring(from house renovations), ali window frames.....you name it, it ends up at the scrap yard.
I need something to keep me occupied these days.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Boysie I looked into the aluminium cans thing and you needed between 50 - 60 thousand for a ton which at the time was worth around £700. I've only got a single garage too! Yep well worth weighing in the bigger stuff as you say for £££ here and now.I've only put some into silver as a long term investment, don't want £ in the bank making nothing, I would prefer to chance it with something and the good thing is it will never be worth nothing whereas the buying power of cash is reducing all the time.
When you think supermarkets are currently reducing the size of products and keeping the price the same, they reduce the contents of what we buy by 10% and charge the same, thats 10% inflation.

By the way the silver bars, coins are fantastic to look at especially the kilo bars and coins. The Perth mint has also produced a 10 kilo coin which is 999 silver & legal tender!
I managed to drop on a number of 1 kilo Perth mint coins a few years back for £250 each, now because they are quite low mintage they are worth over £1000 each and that increase has took place in 4.5 years.

As mnl says the gold is over £1000 for an ounce, you can get a silver art bar or coin such as an American eagle for just over £30.

·
Super Moderator
2,014 Posts
I wasn't really serious about the cans.

Precious metals are always a good investment, it's knowing when the time is right to cash them in. If people can weather the ups and downs in the market, and don't panic, they'll do Ok.

My only investments were property, just the homes I lived and did up and sold. Cleared my mortgage in 8 years. Two divorces later, I'm nearly broke.

I'm off to have a rummage in the wife's jewelry box.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bit slow wasn't I there Boysie, that's some going with your mortgage. Wish mine was done. It does not matter if you are broke as long as your happy. Like I say I've bought some silver just before the big rises but I'm certain there is some really big rises in value in a few years. I'm in no rush to sell, don't get me wrong if it went to $100 an ounce I'd be cashing in tomorrow. $100 an ounce would put my kilo coins at $3200 each just on the spot price.
To date I have not sold any piece of silver I've purchased and intend to keep for a very long time.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Bought a pair of sovereigns last year, when gold was near enough £1000 an ounce.
Today gold is £1106, so they are actually worth slightly over what I bought them for if I sold them.
I have nearly 16g of 22ct gold!

Nice to look at, and hold, with the advantage that I can swallow them if society collapses and I have to do a runner from the uniformed apes

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thats what I like about my silver, don't get my stash out very often but when I do I can't put it down. The kilo coins I have are just stunning and I also have some nice ten ouncers which are Engelhard bars and these are just mint. Also got some pre 1947 English silver coins which are 50% silver and some pre 1920 English silver coins which are 92%. Dig out your old coins as they will be worth something for their silver content.
Also got some old Leopold 5 Franc silver coins from the 1860's which are huge crown size coins which I mostly got for under a tenner each some as low as £7 but often on ebay now they are rarely available for less than £20 and are sometimes much dearer.
One thing is for sure in approaching five years the value ££££ of my stash has grown by anywhere between 300% - 400%.
Big chunks of precious metal are more interesting to look at than some numbers in a bank account.
I'd hang onto your gold long term, some experts are predicting $10,000 a troy ounce in a few years.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts