Nissan Note Owners Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Allergies aside, is there any point in having a pollen filter. Having driven for nearly 45 years without one in various motors, are they worth having.

Note 1.5 diesel, with aircon. At £15 to £21, I could live without them.

Edited by: Boysie

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
Yep, they are useful and they do filter out a load of crap. Plus most aircon systems are designed around a balanced pressure input which may be 'screwed' without the filter in place.

·
Super Moderator
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nigel B said:
Yep, they are useful and they do filter out a load of crap. Plus most aircon systems are designed around a balanced pressure input which may be 'screwed' without the filter in place.

Oh well, bang goes my pocket money.

Cheers.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
When I pulled mine out it was full of dead things. You cant run without one as it is between the fan and the heater, the air will escape out the side of the heater unit.

You can remove the element, and refit the end cap as a seal if you are a real meanie, but all manner of dirt and grit will get into the car.

·
Super Moderator
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm a real meanie, but at the thought of swallowing dead things and the probs of not having a filter, I'll keep it.

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
you need it as catches all the dust and muck, esp with climate and aircon it stops the ducts ect getting clogged up and nasty bacteria building up leading to cough,colds and/or chest infections
imho it need changing every year

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Boysie said:
I'm a real meanie, but at the thought of swallowing dead things and the probs of not having a filter, I'll keep it.
I think they were live things when they got sucked in

·
Super Moderator
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
mnl said:
Boysie said:
I think they were live things when they got sucked in

What's the insect equivalent to Sushi.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
When you change it, keep the plastic end cap, and throw away the old filter material.
when the air-con starts to smell, you can remove the filter, replace with the end cap and use your favourite anti-bacterial product without most of it soaking into the filter.

·
Registered
143 Posts
It's easier than you may think. Grasp the protruding semicircular piece at the base and press upward/outward, and pull sideways.

There are two versions of these filters. (1) Micronair (see the print on the element when it's out) and (2) Valeo. The Micronair version is simply an element with separate end cap.

The Valeo version has the end cap integral with the filter element, so is one-piece. Removal is the same for both.

The Micronair version is an activated carbon filter (ie it contains activated carbon to filter out airborne gaseous nasties) and will be naturally darker in colour from new. The Valeo version is a straightforward particle filter without carbon.

I use the simpler Valeo particulate filter version which is much less expensive and filters out the solidparticles very well. It has no effect on airborne gases or smells because there's no activated carbon, but quite honestly what more do most peopleneed ?

The jury is out on total removal of the element. You'll certainly notice an increase in airflow from the blower unit without it, but this is really only possible to do with the MICRONAIR version with the separate end cap ( to seal the aperture in the side of the heater box). With the Valeo setup you have to cut off the filter element section and retain the closure plate piece so to seal the heater box. Either way, no big effort.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Can the filter be cleaned in any way. haven see it myself yet so i dont know what it looks like even. also i have hayfever , dose it make a big differance to have a clean pollen filter

·
Registered
167 Posts
motomark. No point in cleaning the filter they are quite cheap. To get at it get on your back drivers side front foot well, shove your head right back under glove box look left and you will see a plastic strip about 10-15mm wide running vertically about 15 cm long behind the centre console, grip the tab at the bottom and pull, its quite stiff & a little awkward to pull out but easy enough. Pull the filter out you will see its dirty, pull the end cap strip off as described and re fit if its this kind of filter to the new filter. On mine there was a rubber seal which has to be fitted to the new filter. Push the new filter back it until the strip finds its place, make sure you fit the filter with the air flow going in the right direction (there may be a printed arrow on the fabric filter indicating which way the air flow is). You will see an instant improvement in air flow when your blower is on and your windows should mist up less so its worth doing for these reasons as well. got mine for about £12 from Eurocarparts, they are on there today at £10.56. Not bad for a job you can to in ten minutes and Nissan would charge about £50 all in to do if not more.

·
Registered
143 Posts
As per my previous post - be aware of the types of filters fitted. The element of a simple particulate filter (without activated carbon) will be pure white when new.A new activated carbon version will always have a grey shade with visible black bits in the fabric, so can appear dirtier than it actually is.

Activated carbon filters are usually only produced by the original equipment manufacturers (ie Micronair/Freudenberg) and are more costly.In my experience all filters available in the aftermarket are straightforward particulate filters (white fabric) and much cheaper (viz Valeo/ECP/GSF).

I see no reason why a filter (non-carbon type) couldn't be washed and dried carefully but quite frankly they are so cheap you might consider it isn't worthwhile. I might try this for the hell of it next time around!

mnl's advice re element removal and discard is interesting. The filter definately impedes airflow when in place and you'll notice that improves without it. I've tested the "with and without" situations many times on various vehicles, andthe difference is usually surprising. It's a choice!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts