Nissan Note Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
Just bough a used Nissan note accenta automatic( after having had a manual car 10 years)noticed that on uphill,overtaking on motorway and after short stop the car struggles-Anyone noticed the same.it has just had an mot+service at dealership.
Also,don't know what gear1 and 2 are for?
Any helpful advise would be welcome
Niki

·
Super Moderator
2,014 Posts
1st gear is used for driving through deep snow, sand or mud. OR....very steep hills.

2nd gear is used for for driving uphill(maybe not as steep as for 1st gear).

Both gears give engine braking when going down hill.

Do you have 'kick down', when you try to overtake........the auto box should go down a gear when accelerator is floored.

NEVER put the car in PARK, until you have completely stopped. ( I giess you already know that.).

If you are not used to auto gears, tuck your left foot away from the pedals, and just use the right foot for pedals. (Apologies for being so basic).

Edited by: Boysie

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
Boysie said:

dont use modern autoboxes for engine braking you will kill the auto box this has been covered a few times

If you got it from a main dealer it should have a years warrenty on it, if your not happy take it back

There isa different driving style with autos you use the throttle a lot more and with pulling away you use a little more throttle as the fluid has to preload the gear box (like lifting your foot of a clutch pedal to engage the clutch)

if you have come from a manual its all a bit odd as with a auto the right foot does both pedals and the left just sits there doing nothing

Your soon get use to it

Edited by: flash22

·
Super Moderator
2,014 Posts
flash22 said:
Boysie said:

dont use modern autoboxes for engine braking you will kill the auto box this has been covered a few times

If you got it from a main dealer it should have a years warrenty on it, if your not happy take it back

There isa different driving style with autos you use the throttle a lot more and with pulling away you use a little more throttle as the fluid has to preload the gear box (like lifting your foot of a clutch pedal to engage the clutch)

if you have come from a manual its all a bit odd as with a auto the right foot does both pedals and the left just sits there doing nothing

Your soon get use to it

Ok Flash....didn't know about the engine braking with the auto box. I just quoted from the Owners manual.

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
you can do it in a emergence not a problem but if you use day in day out your cook the fluid and cause damage to the brake bands and internals
£18 quid set of front brake pads vs £500 - £1000 for a gear box rebuild, ill do the brake pads thanks lol

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Niki1108 said:
Hi guys,
Just bough a used Nissan note accenta automatic( after having had a manual car 10 years)noticed that on uphill,overtaking on motorway and after short stop the car struggles-Anyone noticed the same.it has just had an mot+service at dealership.
Also,don't know what gear1 and 2 are for?
Any helpful advise would be welcome
Niki
It should fly up any hill unless you have 5 adults inside and a trailer on the back.
On the motorway it will drop to third to overtake if you use the accelerator
If you stand on the accelerator pedal it will accelerate very well indeed from stationary.

Unless you are not pressing the accelerator down hard enough, take it back.

Just leave it in D, I've driven automatics for over 30 years, including rangerovers through mud, and I've only ever needed to move the lever out of D once-to take the rangerover down a hill I wouldn't have walked on.

On the other hand, I accidentally set off in 2 quite often when going from R to D without looking down at the lever

·
Registered
167 Posts
Well worth you trying a couple more 1.6 autos at the dealer to see if there is any huge difference in the cars ability. You will then see if you are driving a car that is not performing as it should. Most of the Note 1.6 autos will drive exactly the same with no difference in performance etc obviously providing the tyres are properly inflated and the cars have been serviced.Its surprising what a huge difference the tyres being under inflated can make, don't trust who ever you purchased the car to have done this basic check which costs next to nothing. Check the tyre pressures when cold and inflate according to the sticker on the column in drivers side door opening.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts