Nissan Note Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.
Just bought a 1.6 Acenta (08) a week ago. It's the 1.6 version (30k on the clock) and its my first petrol car since 1996 as I've owned diesels since then.
I'm enjoying it and its nice to drive but I'm finding when simultaneously depressing the clutch & letting the accelerator up to change gear the engines revs briefly rise before falling. At other times when coasting out of gear I've occasionally noticed the revs stay high from a second or so before falling back to idle speed.
Just wondering if this is 'normal', if not what might be causing it?

(Have been trawling through Nissan Note Owners forums, very useful information. One thing definitely on my 'to do list' is stop those shock absorber cups filling with rain water!)

·
Registered
138 Posts
My 1.4 petrol does that if the aircon is on....plus a few other weird noises all from the aircon being on....and yes I too made some additions/mods to those shock cups as you'll see in one of my previous posts

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
It is perfectly normal

In The Olden Days "proper" cars had a mechanical linkage to the throttle valve, and the engine did what you told it.

Nowadays cars have a servo on the throttle and the computer tells it how to move in response to your "request"

The result is the revs stay high when changing gear to make you appear like a learner driver on your second lesson.

Another result is a massive delay between stamping on the accelerator and anything happening. At islands I tend to mash the accelerator fractionally before the gap appears to compensate.

·
Super Moderator
2,014 Posts
When it's convenient(safe), turn everything electrical OFF, and see if it revs as much.

Edited by: Boysie

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the reassurances & ill try that tip next time I'm out. My last petrol was an Astra MK1which most definitely had an old fashioned throttle cable

Had a good laugh at the 'learner driver' description, that's exactly how I feel at the moment! Wondering how long it will be for I need a new clutch as I still am getting used to the biting point, oh and it's not helped by the fact I keep thinking I've stalled because the engine is so quiet compared to my diesels

·
Super Moderator
2,014 Posts
The same thing happens with my diesel Note......took me by surprise the first time it happened. I was taking a tight right hand turn, and the car quickened up.

Seems the oil burners are prone to similar probs to the spirit burners.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Great thread!

I've just driven my new (second hand) Note home, and after miles of kicking myself for my 'rookie' clutch work, realised it was completely out of my hands. Glad it's a standard thing (rather than a fault to be fixed), though it is rather frustrating, I hope I can get used to it...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts