Nissan Note Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently had the passenger air bag done by Ancasters Nissan on recall. I’ve noticed that now, driving in a straight line, my steering wheel is in a slight anti clockwise position. If put straight, the car veers over to the right. Is it tracking issue? It was all okay until the dealership got hold of it. Of course, I’ll be back onto them.

·
Registered
6,725 Posts
You sure your wheel wasn't a bit off before the recall? I wouldn't have thought they would have to take off the steering wheel for the passengers air bag, unless somebody knows better? I very much doubt they sodded about with your track rod ends.
Does the whole dash have to come off just to do the passengers airbag, if so do they have to remove the steering wheel???

I don't have the Haynes Workshop Manual @ £12.99 now, it went with the car. The Granddaughter has just had her airbag done in her Note, she's had no complaints about it.

·
Super Moderator
1,804 Posts
Unless they took your car out for a sandwich/lunch run, and hit a pothole or a kerb. A main dealer will never waste time and money doing other work or adjustmen, for a 15 minute job.:wink:

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks all. Might be that they’ve put the steering wheel back on slightly **** eyed. I’ll be nipping down there tomorrow. I’m on first name terms with the receptionists and to be honest,, Ancasters haven’t been a bad main dealership in my dealings with em. I’ll let you know what transpires in due course.

·
Registered
295 Posts
When I got both mine done at the dealers, it took nearly 3 hours for them. My steering wasn't off any at all though.

·
Registered
6,725 Posts
Not having a Haynes Workshop Manual @ £12.99.
Just one question, do they have to remove the steering wheel to change the passengers side airbag, and as for the drivers airbag, it's only a matter of removing the top cover of the wheel, why does the whole wheel have to be removed?

So really "BobRob" are you really sure your wheel wasn't slightly off before it had the Passengers airbag done???
Now "Charley88 has stated his wheel was not removed during both airbags being changed.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Silverhairs,You’re probably right. Maybe it was a bit off before then although, I’d have noticed it (I think). Anyhow, I’ll try and pop into them and see what they have to say. Even if it costs a bit for the job. Either that or live with it.
I do have a Haynes manual and will have a look. Mind you, even if it says something about it,,, I’m not tooled up to do many more jobs than check oil, water, screen wash and tyre pressures. My days of spannering bolts, undoing and tightening it all up again out in the cold ended when I stopped motor cycling and joined the three/four wheeled club a fair few years ago. Yes, my first car was a Reliant Robin. And no, it wasn’t yellow like Del Boys either. Ha!

·
Registered
6,725 Posts
I think some steering wheels can be a bit of a bitch to remove, but read your Haynes Workshop Manual @ £12.99 you might have to disconnect the battery first, then (not sure) but you could bugger up the clock spring (?), and that will cost you.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Booked in for next Wednesday for em to have a look at. I’ll let you know how it turns out.

·
Registered
6,725 Posts
They can correct it by tracking the front wheels, they set your steering wheel central first, then go from there.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, car went in yesterday and apparently, all they did was click the wheel over to the straight. My air bag light had been flashing (again) and that needs yet another pre seat belt tensioner. That’s been authorised to be done on my extended warranty I have, once the part arrives. No charge for the steering wheel. Nice to leave a main dealership with not having to give over any monies. Ha!

·
Registered
651 Posts
The last time i heard of the air bag light flashing was on my mates car, ( not a nissan ) and it failed the MOT.
Turned out the clock spring was at fault. He had it replaced and the car romped through the re-test.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Had the pre-tensioner replaced and all was okay until a couple of hours later. It’s flashing again. Not too sure if it’s me or, my wife’s ass sitting down heavily that’s maybe loosening a connection. It will go back in due course and I’ll be mentioning the possibility of the clock spring?

·
Registered
651 Posts
Good call.
The clock spring is also called the air bag squib.
An easy enough job to replace, i did mine in around an hour, only issue was finding the correct one to fit my car as there are two with different sized centre bosses.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts