Nissan Note Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2007 1.6 auto - for some reason it's decided it's not going to use overdrive anymore - changes through the first three gears fine but then you can hear it revving and 'looking' for another gear.

The rev counter also seems 'sticky' not sure if the two are connected.

Any ideas before I book it in and no doubt get charged a fortune?!

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
For overdrive to engage you need to be up to working temperature and above a certain speed, also make sure the O/D button on the gear lever is in the correct position, if not you will never go in to O/D.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
If it went into 4th before in similar conditions (including outside temperature), I'd be looking for something making the load on the engine increase, like a brake seizing, or flat tyre.

Just to check, we are talking about 4th gear, not torque converter lock-up?
Your comment about the rev counter is a bit confusing- under light load the revs rise because of torque converter slip and the car catches up, mine runs at 2000 when pressing the accelerator, drops back to about 1200 foot off at 32 Nissan mph indicated (likely 27 true mph).

I know mine is in 4th at 32mph coasting, because pressing the OD switch will make it drop a gear, press again and it changes back up.

·
Registered
165 Posts
mine seems to kick in regardless of temp. ie 2 mins down the road (from cold) it will use the overdrive.

TO the op - there is a small switch on the side of the gearlever - when pressed it illuminates an orange light on the speedo display somewhere. That means the overdrive is disengaged. If your's is like that obviously press it so the orange light goes out, in which case overdrive should engage properly.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts