Nissan Note Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have been driving manual cars for over 50 years and have recently brought a Note automatic, my wife who has only been driving for 6 months (she thinks she knows it all) goes off on one when I am stuck in traffic or traffic lights that I know take a age to change I always put the stick in neutral and put the hand brake on. That's when the disagreement starts.
Because her instructor had never instructed her to put the stick in neutral and apply handbrake she thinks its the way to drive.
Who's right.
If you think my wife is correct your has mad as she is

·
Super Moderator
1,830 Posts
In neutral, no matter what the car. If it's in drive with the brakes or handbrake on, you'll soon be buying a new autobox, which will cost more than the cars worth.

Even with a manual box car you don't, or shouldn't sit there wtih foot on the clutch.

//

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Personally, I didn't buy an auto to mess with a gearlever, so mine stays in D unless I need to go backwards or I want to take the keys out.
I do use the handbrake when stopped, as I found that the front suspension is ultra sensitive to any marks on the brake discs, and the steering shakes out of your hands when braking, I've got a few years out of this set of brake discs- I even managed a pad change without new discs!

There is a transmission cooler, and I think the shock of knocking it in & out of gear is likely to cause damage that costs more than any fuel saved in neutral.

Bottom line is it is up to you, if you know the lights will take ages you could stop the engine, but that will wear the starter more.....

(I did mess with the lever once- in a RangeRover I had it in low & 1 to get it down a slope that I wouldn't have walked down, and you do need to select neutral to move the transfer box into low )

·
Super Moderator
1,830 Posts
gerry1947 is not saying about turning off the engine(but I do sometimes), just disengaging drive. If messing with a gear lever is moving it twice, once at stop, another to go......that's seems easy enough.:D

I've had a few autos's in my time, and Audi and Vauxhall , and driven a few auto Fords, and the father in laws Jag. He was a mechanic and Garage Service manager for 40 years, never did he say sit and stay in D.

//

·
Registered
55 Posts
You can always tell a lazy auto driver at the lights .... bloody brake light blazing away.
They are quite often the first to moan about that if the car in front of them does the same! ;)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
gerry1947 is not saying about turning off the engine(but I do sometimes), just disengaging drive. If messing with a gear lever is moving it twice, once at stop, another to go......that's seems easy enough.:D

I've had a few autos's in my time, and Audi and Vauxhall , and driven a few auto Fords, and the father in laws Jag. He was a mechanic and Garage Service manager for 40 years, never did he say sit and stay in D.

//

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all your responses, the better half has a Micra auto, I will wait until her gearbox falls out maybe then she will take notice of me. in the meantime she will be bared from driving my Note.
Thanks again
Gerry

1 - 7 of 7 Posts