Nissan Note Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The warning light described by the owners manual as

"Malfunction warning (light) and Water in fuel filter warning light (red)/Malfunction indicator (light) (orange)"

has come on. It's the orange variety.

Any idea what it means and what I should do about it please?

Many thanks!

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Plug a fault code reader into the diagnostic port located above the drivers knees, find why the lamp is on, clear the code and see if it comes back.
Alternatively, half a dozen ignition on/off cycles will put it out unless there is a continual fault.

As to the fault, could be anything.

Give us half a chance, diesel or petrol?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey thanks for your reply. It's a petrol '06 plate.

I should perhaps point out that this is my first ever "modern car", and that ECUs and OBD 2 are a complete mystery to me.

My entire vehicle-owning career before the Nissan goes as follows (going backwards in time.)

VW camper van (air-cooled)
2 x Metros (both A-Series engines)
Fiat 128 (age forgotten, but probably pre-dated the invention of the internal combustion engine and was powered by druids or dung or something.)

So I need all the help I can get!

Will try the ignition thing and report back.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update . . .

Ignition cycles into double figures hasn't cleared it.

I don't own a code reader. Should I buy one, and if so, from where please?

Cheers!

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Not going off means that the fault is continual.

Most likely on a petrol is the exhaust gas sensor before the catalyst. (but a new one is around £70 so don't just buy one on the off chance)
The car will be in limp home mode, and needs the codes clearing (and the fault sorting) as you shouldn't drive long distances with it on.

If you are paying someone to do any and all work on the car, book it into a garage.

If you do most of your own work, get a code reader from eBay. The Chinese clones of the Autel Maxiscan units are very good, they tell you the code number, and what it means on the display, then allow you to clear it.

eBay item 321115608057 is an example the sort I mean, £20 and it pays for itself the first time it gets used, and will work in the majority of newer vehicles.
At least you can ring a garage with the fault code and get a quote.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just wanted to report-back and say thanks once again.

Bought the actual code reader mnl suggested on eBay. Twenty quid, arrived the next day.

Plugged it in and got code P1706. Online says "Park/Neutral Switch".

My local garage says it's the thing that stops you turning the engine over when you've left the car in-gear. They can't quote me for fixing or replacing it, but bring the car in and they'll put their scanner on it. At a cost of . . . you guessed it - twenty quid (plus £4 VAT if I want a receipt.) However I have always been able to try start the car in gear (I have a talent for it) so I don't think it's what they said.

Dr. Google says it'll most likely mean my reversing lights aren't coming on. And guess what? They aren't!

So at least I'm forewarned and forearmed ahead of getting garage quotes. And all for two tenners.

Many thanks to mnl and this forum for easing my passage into the 21st Century!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh, and the code-reader also allowed me to turn the warning light off and cancel the "x miles past last service due" indication which the last garage who serviced the car failed to do. They said they couldn't do it cos they're not a Nissan dealer.

But I can do it with a £20 gizmo. Cool!

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Glad it works

I'm surprised that it didn't tell you the code meaning in plain English

However, google is your friend!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1VT4sgWtJ8

This has happened on here before

http://www.noteownersclub.co.uk/forum/fault-code-p1706_topic678.html

You can set the service interval with a bit of button pressing at ignition on it is a sticky in the "How to section"

http://www.noteownersclub.co.uk/forum/how-to-service-reset-and-oil-level_topic229.html

Have a nice time with the spanners.

(I told you the code reader pays for itself the first time you use it
)

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
auto's have what they call an inhibitor switch (basically stops you starting the car in gear) iirc its part of the selector switch on the gearbox

its a fair few years ago since I had one done (corsa B) and that cost £220

it may be a case of the cables and or the switch needs adjustment

have you tried shifting from park to 1 and back a few times quickly it may just notch it a tad just enough to start it

·
Registered
4,708 Posts
Bloody hell, the inhibitor switch failed on my old Alhambra and cost the princely sum of £18.00 and that was from a dealer.

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
This was a complete unit with sliding contacts it was £165 plus the labour

It was like a 12 way switch and everything went through it and back into the box ecu

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
The park neutral switch for the note is £45-65 depending on what one it is tbh, I would check the wiring/plug Esp with the recent weatherEdited by: flash22

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
If you have a look at the video, (which isn't actually a note, but probably similar), this is the reverse light switch on the manual gearbox, the contacts burn up, looks like a bit of fine emery, or a fibre glass brush would sort it out, but the oil has to come out first as it is underneath.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
On the Auto the switch is bolted to the side of the box where the selector cables are, possibly needs adjusting only or the fuse #60 in the IPDM is blown. Removal is not a big job or oily.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
From his posts, I think that the OP has a manual gearbox.

There is a combination neutral/reverse switch underneath the gearbox.

Maybe you can't start a manual in gear without your foot on the clutch?

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
on the manual box it's easy to test by disconnecting the plug and checking continuity between the three pins, if the switch is faulty it just unscrews.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hey thanks everyone!

Sorry for the lack of response - been away (without the car.)

Mine's a manual. So where is the IPDM (and fuse 60) to be found please? I'll check that first.

Ta!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts