Nissan Note Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,I'm new today to the forum.

Just bought a 58 plate (only25k on clock) Nissan Note Acenta 1.4 from Arnold Clark and it's still in it's two month warranty period.

I've just finished refilling my second tank of petrol and I've only managed ~35mpg on both.
Air con off, tyres fine, no passengers, two day a week motorway at 70mph and two in town average 30mph.

Should be getting about 45mpg. Only 300miles from full tank to light on.
Not great at all. Emissions fine say my local garage and no management lights on.

Service at Arnold Clark are suggesting I use Techron which they will give me.

Suggestions please!
Thanks,
Gav

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Techron is some kind of fuel additive??? I can't see how buying something else is going to magically 'cure' low mpg. There is a lot more to extracting maximum mileage from a gallon than messing with the octane...it could be something as simple as the sort of ground you travel over. For example, are there a lot of hills or gradients in the area? Do you spend a lot of time stopping and starting in town? Is there a dumbell strapped to your right ankle? Ok I'm being a little facetious, but so-called 'octane improvers' and additives are a total waste of money IMHO.
Also, a lot of it is down to driving style. Mrs Elephant (my wife) NEVER gets more than 45 mpg out of our 60 plate 1.5dci N-Tec, whereas I easily achieve 55-65 mpg doing exactly the same routes as her. God knows what she's doing but there's something weird going on when she is at the wheel.
Anyway, I hope you find out what the problem is, and please let us know what you find out...knowledge is power! Good luck Gav, and welcome to the club.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know - Techron is not what I really wanting to hear from them..35mpg is so far off the mark. I'm driving like it's my test. Super careful.

What could it be?

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
I'm getting 34mpg out of a 1.6 auto with mostly town stop start (6 miles a day)with once a fortnight motorway trip. If you have just downsized from a bigger engine you could be inadvertantly copmensating for the lower power output in the 1.4?

·
Registered
18 Posts
HI I HAVE A 1.5 DCI 11 PLATE AND IT DOESBETWEEN 45 52 MPG COMBINED THIS TO IS WAY OFF THE MARK NISSAN HAVE CHECKED AND SAY CAR IS OKBUT I DISAGREE AS TEST FIGURES FOR DCI NOTE ARE 57 URBAN 72 EXTRA URBAN 68MPG COMBINED .I EXCHANGED A DIESEL 1.7 VAUXHALL MERIVA IN PXFOR THE NOTE (BIGGER CAR)THIS RETURNED 50 MPG ON THE SAME ROUTE FOR 5 YEARS AND THE OFFICIAL CLAIMED MPG WAS LOWER THAN THE NOTE .THERE ARE BETTER CARS OUT THER FOR 14K BUT WHEN YOU HAVE SPENT YOUR MONEY YOUR STUCK WITH IT.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
To answer previous comments -
It's just had a service prior to being sold to me.My previous car was a 1.4litre Fiesta and it did about 40-45mpg.

The reality is most people with a Nissan Note 1.4 seem to get 45 mpg combined which I would be very happy with (see honestjohn's site). 35mpg is so low it just rubbish.

Apart from experimentally changing spark plugs and filter etc etc there nothing I can do.
There's no diagnostic test for poor fuel economy.

Can I ask Arnold Clark to swap it for another car of similar price / spec as my one is not fit for purpose? :)

Help!

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Have you tried resetting the MPG meter? If you haven't done so, it will show the average fuel consumption of all the miles you have done since getting the car. Set the mpg to zero by pressing and holding in the left stalk until it reads __.__. Now you can get a better idea of consumption .

·
Registered
10 Posts
Mine returns 40-45mpg with a mix of driving, 42 mile round trip per day to work and back mainly on main roads travelling at 60mph. But I have to be really easy with throttle and change gear no higher than 2500-3000rpm when accelerating. 400miles + from a full tank of shell fuel save unleaded.

Edited by: LiamJ

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Sneaky might have hit it on the head!! my previous Note's owners overall was 28mpg, since I reset it and adjusted my driving expectations from a 2ltr I now average 34mpg, but if I do a reset on the Mway it's 44mpg @ 75mph, decelerating from 80>70 gave 67mpg.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for that, but I reset the average mpg already.

Basically I'm getting 300 miles on 38litres which is about 36mpg.

·
Registered
109 Posts
mdvineng said:
I'm getting 34mpg out of a 1.6 auto with mostly town stop start (6 miles a day)with once a fortnight motorway trip. If you have just downsized from a bigger engine you could be inadvertantly copmensating for the lower power output in the 1.4?

I have the same, 1.6 Tekna Auto and i am getting 29.6 mpg, this is down to the cold weather, more "choke" and having it running whilst i clear the windows each morning all take the numbers down

all my motoring is to and from work and the normal weekend trip down town, seldom does my car see a motorway

i was getting around the advertised 31 mpg during the warmer times,

my advice is not to worry about the numbers too much at this time of year, see what you get in the warmer weather, if you still dont get better results then you can take things further

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Absolutely agree with that Paperman, I haven't been looking at the mpg figures of late but the miles to empty diminishes a lot faster with this colder weather as does going up to level 6 in a multi-storey car park each day. It is nice to see the miles to empty figure go up when I do a motorway trip, it almost means I get a free trip to my daughters' and back, if you get my drift, as nothing is free in this country.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Honestly, it's bloody disgraceful. Back in 1990 I bought a brand spanking Vauxhall Cavalier GSI, the 2 litre one. That car returned 50 mpg no matter what sort of driving I did, and let me tell you I was a lot faster back then! It's all these damn nanny devices they stuff into cars now...the ABS and airbags, electric windows and all that crap. It seems like the slower we go, the faster we burn it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
The problem is the rolling road used for testing cars is not fit for purpose.i had a datsun 1978 120y coupe that did 45 to a gallon thats 30 years back .
my 2011 diesel note only just does this very poor i spent a lot time looking for a desent size economical car what a wase of time and money .i have had many nissan toyota and a vauxhall and this is the cheapest feeling car yet.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
STANZA 1.8 SGL said:
The problem is the rolling road used for testing cars is not fit for purpose.i had a datsun 1978 120y coupe that did 45 to a gallon thats 30 years back .
my 2011 diesel note only just does this very poor i spent a lot time looking for a desent size economical car what a wase of time and money .i have had many nissan toyota and a vauxhall and this is the cheapest feeling car yet.
My 1.5 N-Tec does between 50 and 66 mpg...I suggest you reset your mpg meter and see what it does from a fresh start.

Edited by: SneakyElephant

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
It's amazing that almost everyone thinks their driving style is an economical one! no one will ever beat a manufacturer at economy driving and if you try to match or beat it on the streeets all you will succeed in doing is annoying everone else on the road.

·
Registered
18 Posts
forget style my point is 8mile trip each way in vauxhall meriva 1.7 cdti for 5 years =52mpg booked at 62 mpg. nissan note 1.5 dcisame route 50 mpg booked at 72mpg on 11 plate ?

·
Registered
453 Posts
My Nissan says it has done 75mpg on a motorway run from Chester to Lancaster and back to Chester at 60mph.

Last year it would give me 70mpg going back to work at 60mph and that is over a full tank of fuel.
At the moment it is giving 66mpg, put that down to how cold it is.

However, I'm not sure that my milometer is reading the correct miles.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My experience with the 1.5 DCI is it returns great fuel economy if you keep the revs below 2K. This is easy to do on the DCI but doubt it's really possible on the 1.4 petrol. I remember test driving the 1.4 but decided on the diesel as the 1.4 needed to be revved.

I compared some motorway driving at 60mph and 70mph. At 70mph the trip meter said I was getting 72 but the refill suggested it was more like 65mpg. At 60mph the trip meter was suggesting 60 but it was 55 on the refill.

Before the Note I had a 1.7puma. This would return 42 to 38 mpg at 60, 70 or 80mph for me. I think the lighter car and more powerful engine helped maintain a narrow mpg range.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts