Nissan Note Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure whats going on with the brakes on my wife's car but the symptoms are still there - even getting worse. When braking over 20mph, the brakes grind as soon as the brakes bite (very little force or pedal travel required) and the car does not slow down!! Even when you come off the brakes and re-apply or even pump the brakes it still happens. At very slow speeds (<10mph), the brakes bite as normal and stop the car.

Earlier there were a few warning signs on the dash but they quickly disappeared (see attached)

So far, I have replaced the pads, disconnected and cleaned the abs connectors.This seemed to solve it for two days but it has started up again?

Any ideas what to try next?

Attachments

·
Registered
4,708 Posts
IIRC this was as a result of hitting a pothole wasn't it?

I would get both the discs and wheels checked for any distortion.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Yes, your local indie garage would no doubt set up a dial test indicator on the front discs to check for distortion. Also any displacement of disc to hub mounting etc.

·
Registered
6,725 Posts
When doing jobs on the cheap, sometimes you might end up having the same problems.
For the extra cost for a couple of discs, at the moment another car parts company "GSF car parts" are doing a Black Friday deal with 60% off brakes and most other things. When I purchased pads and discs including new pins and shims for my Note, it came too £70.00.
Years back I had a Vauxhall Cresta, every time I braked I had a vibration in the steering, as though the ABS had kicked in, the trouble is ABS wasn't even thought of then! When stripped down, the ventilated discs looked OK, the ventilation strips between the two outside surfaces had rusted, when I dropped the nearside disc onto the concrete floor it split in two. The thing is it looked OK, but was knackered. Thinking back, a few months before, it was icy and I went round a bend and unfortunately slid into the kerb, I drove off not thinking anything about it, but the damage had been done

·
Registered
648 Posts
After getting the front discs checked i would look at the rear brakes too.
If they are drum brakes the same as mine then they tend to make the grinding noise you mentioned when the linings are getting low.The noise can be perceived to be coming from the front when in fact it could be the rear brakes making the noise as the grinding noise travels along the chassis.

·
Registered
6,725 Posts
In this post and the other post, the OP has not mentioned what year Note it is? If the member is taking his/her Note to a Nissan dealer, can I tell you that during a dealer service whether it be a major or one in between, they never even take the wheels off the car, for the front brakes they can quite easily see the condition of the discs and pads. As for the rears brakes (drums) they just take a bung out and look through the hole with a torch. Even on a major service they don't do any adjustment to your rear brakes, if they need any adjustment that's another £90.00 on top of your service, they don't even remove the drums and clean out the years dust from the drums. I know this as they tried to charge me for rear brake adjustment. I took my Note to my local independent for the clean out and adjustment and the bill was £30.00.
So if your still getting the grinding sound, "sineu's" right, it could be you rear shoes down to the metal with no brake linings left or one lining has come unstuck as not all linings are riveted now.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Try pulling on the handbrake on whilst moving slowly. If it grinds, you'll know where noise is coming from.:wink:
Thanks for the help so far on this - I tried pulling the handbrake at slow speed and hear/felt nothing. The grinding is a vibration felt only through the brake pedal and at the point where the brakes bite so little effort is required for it to start. Braking performance is greatly reduced too. At slow speeds, brakes are fine and stop as you'd expect (<10mph 'ish).

I'll change the discs on the weekend, might even bleed them at the same time to eliminate air in the system as the reason.

PS The Note is 2011, 1.6 if that helps anyone

·
Super Moderator
1,800 Posts
Make sure the brake pad carriers aren't seized. This may result in uneven pad and disc wear. This was quite apparent on my brother Nissan Micra.

Check for even/uneven wear on the discs and pads before you do anything else. In all honesty, it's cheap enough these days to buy and change the discs AND pads.

Eurocarparts are always doing deals on discs and pads. Up to 50% discount, if you catch the offers at the right time, using their discount code.

If you need to buy discs and pads, I would recommend BREMBO for both. A bit more expensive, but they're worth it, in my mind.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts