Nissan Note Owners Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Done some searches and it's likely my case is unique, but I have to write it down somewhere just in case it's not!

I have a 2007 1.4 SE petrol, in good nick and in 4 years only needed a new battery and a couple hours of welding. She's a good runner but occasionally the engine has a little splutter, usually slowing down or starting on a slight incline, sorta rocks a little like it might stall, but doesn't (giving it more gas just makes the rocking harder). It's so intermittent, and never fatal, I've never thought to sort it.

Anyway, when the new E10 unleaded came out, I checked the list and it said all Notes would be fine, so never gave it another thought.

Some weeks pass, I then noticed the car struggling in a couple of places I travel through regular, admittedly I'm so familiar with these roads I'm in auto pilot and in muscle memory changing gears. But the car feels a bit bogged down, certainly 20% less power in the same conditions previously.

I assumed the worse, and think the engine is nacked, esp since the car was serviced less than 3k miles ago, so the little things are all newish (oil/sparks etc). I do a few more journeys and toy with it being in my mind. Still not settled, my brain moves on to the E10 petrol, could it be less efficient? The answer is yes, but only slightly ~2%.

So yesterday, I decided to fill up with e5 premium unleaded, I've made 4 small journeys since then, the car feels back to normal. Just hoping someone tells me, they feel the same?? Or I'm talking rubbish.

The price difference is probably small enough for me to stay on e5, so I guess that's the solution! But my sanity is in the balance. Cheers all.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
The E10 petrol does have a higher amount of Ethanol in it, so you could be onto something.
Many people i know have said that their car runs worse on E10 than the E5 so they have switched, pay a little more per litre and are happier with the way their car runs.
Our petrol vehicles at work have stickers in them informing whoever is driving to only fill up with E5 even though it costs more.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I will continue to use E5 in my motor. The cost is worth it considering the performance and less risk of water accumulation.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Doubt it was caused by E10 petrol, more likely you got a fill up for a contaminated batch, does happen. But surprised that a fill of E5 would sort any issues you had with E10 after only " 4 small journeys". Usually takes several tank fills to flush out any bad petrol remaining.

Suggest you try some E10 from a busy supermarket, less likely to get bad petrol from one of those.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts