Nissan Note Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking through the manual for my wife's 1.4 petrol Note for oil spec and SAE .
The spec is clearly listed as API SG,SH or SJ*1 but the only one relevent is SJ which according to the API site is for engines of2001 or earlier vintage !

http://www.api.org/certifications/engineoil/pubs/upload/engineoilguide_march2010.pdf

The best SAE is listed as 5W-30but even 10W-40 would suffice in our ambient conditions.

I cannot find the spec of the suggested Nissan oil .

I cannot find any mentionbeing made of full or semi synthetic and the only suggested service interval I have found is 12.5K or every year .

I change the oil and filters on all our cars at between 4 and 5 thousand miles and have done for many years mainlydue to the short journeys they are used for and have certainly reaped the benefits of it .

It's never above 3.5 K rpm , no turbo fitted on ours ( ! ) and I'm not interested in intervals of 12.5 K miles between services.

So from what I can see it's looking like 5w-30 or 10w-40 semi synthetic would do.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
I stuck fully synthetic Castrol something-or-other 5w30 in mine that I got from Halfords when it was on sale last Summer. Can't remember what it is called, white container advert has the oil in a puddle round a spanner. Exactly enough in the container 4litres IIRR.

Hasn't seized up yet

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
yep 5w30 fully synthetic its the same oil across all engines in the note

oil specs are in the back of the manual you also find it in your service history on the check sheet

10-40 is to thick and will cause issues with the valve gear and timing chain oil feed leading to premature wear
Edited by: flash22

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
You may of seen the banner up the top for euro car parts use the code. GET25 for 25% off oil and free delivery

·
Registered
238 Posts
I have 1.4 and use Castrol Magnatec 5w30 A1. I drive a mixture of town and dual carriageway so I change my oil every 7500 miles. Don' agree with all these extended oil changes, have seen to many mishaps in the past. A can of oil and a filter is always going to be cheaper than a new engine!

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
once a year is fine if I was doing the miles I would do it every 6 months but I currently do 80-100 miles a month but saying that I have done 350 miles since Monday this week running around hospitals
if you look after a engine your get 150-250k miles out of it before you need to rebuild it

·
Registered
4,708 Posts
Every 6000 oil and filter for me on petrol engines, more often on short-journey-only diesels to counter the particulate contamination. Never had a problem and figure that 4-5 litres of oil and a filter is a damn sight cheaper than major work on the engine.
Have been using TripleR 5w30 fully synthetic for the last few years and it seems to do a good job and is still 'bright' when I come to change it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts