Nissan Note Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just happened to be in my local Halfords today and thought I'd have a look to see which oil they recommend for my 2010 Visia 1.5 dci. In their little book it says Castrol Edge 5/30 Fully synthetic. Do all of you technical wizzards out their agree with that....I hope so as I have a new 4 ltr pack that I didn't use in my Ibiza 1.4tdi...so will use it for the next oil change...

·
Registered
42 Posts
As long as the spec of the oil is the same as recommended for the Renault DCI engine in your manual.

Some of the specs for common rail engines are different. I know the oil I had to use in my PD115 Galaxy (VW engine) had a different spec than ford and GM diesels. I think the spec for that engine is fully synthetic ACEA B3/B4 standard. But again check the manual.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Castrol Edge is on sale in ASDA , for £35 for 4 ltrs ,i got some a few weeks a go and at the time it was cheaper than the internet, check it out.

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
its fully synthethic 5-30w for the dci, the 1.6 petroluses the same spec oil

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I thought I'd just check on the Castrol website too, to see what they say and they recommend Castrol Magnatec 5w-30 C3....they also ask about DPF...how do I know if mine has one of these fitted. I'm fairly mechanically minded but don't know what this looks like or where it would be fitted.
Very confused now....

·
Registered
4,708 Posts
Doh!

Then I can't be sure as IIRC the DPF was introduced in late 2009 for the 2010MY, but, as we all know, cars can hang about for ages before being sold. If the car is mid-late 2010 then chances are it has a DPF.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It was registered in Jan 2010 so it's probably a 2009 then....does that help with identification. It has E11 as part of the VIN but don't know if they all are or not....

·
Registered
4,708 Posts
Not really.

Just checked back and the DPF was implemented from October 2009.

Quickest way to verify is to buy a pint for your friendly local garage owner and ask him to check under the car for a short fat 'extra' cylinder in the exhaust system.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I might be able to check that myself....I take it it's after the cat somewhere....? I'll wait until the end of the week though so I can have a look in daylight. Thank you.....

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
they are usually mounted at the exit of the manifold and will be the size of a large bean tin.

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
the cat bolts up to exhaust manifold follow the pipe down and you have the post cat lambda (o2 sensor) the dpf is next in line

1 - 15 of 15 Posts