Nissan Note Owners Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Engine management light has come on after weeks of an intermittent fault. Friend plugged in his diagnostic fault reader and it's showing P0132 (Heated oxygen sensor bank1). Has anyone had experience of replacing it? Is it easy to do and do you have to use a genuine Nissan part?

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Hi depending on what engine you have, it's located on the exhaust manifold and easy to get at, you will need a short arm split ring 22m AF spanner. Also check that the engine earths are good (pin one on the sensor is grounded)and that the connector is free from water inside as these will give the fault also. retightening torque is 37ftlbs. I don't see why a generic one that is specified for a Note shouldn't work, genuine Nissan one will maintain a warranty if applicable and I've seen no evidence that a generic one is less reliable.

regards
dave s

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Update- checked grounds, undid and retightened then measured between ground and pin 1 on sensor connector. Reads 1.998k ohms. Disconnected main connector on engine management unit and have continuity between pin74 and pin1(sensor). Any ideas on what to check next?

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
I would of thought that the pin 1 should read near to 0 ohms as it's a grounded wire. To test run a seperate ground wire and see if it cures it or put a voltmeter across terminal 35 on the ECM and earth, according to service sheets should be0v <0.3v sometime and above 0.6v<1.0v sometime @2000 rpm steady condition normal engine temperature, if not the zirconium sensor is faulty.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
ps an exhaust leak after the first O2 sensor andbefore thesecond will also cause the fault.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
THE ONE ON THE RIGHT SEEMS TO BE LAUGHING

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
The one on the left is actually an inflatable DECOY ELEPHANT, which we use to fool the ivory hunters. The nasty poacher aims for the decoy and pulls the trigger...POP! No more elephant! Meanwhile, the rest of the herd makes off at top speed and is now safely out of range. Sneaky or what! (The one on the right is giggling to himself as he blows it up).
Edited by: SneakyElephant

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Have run a temporary wire to earth. Been for a short run and car ran fine. Will have to see how it goes during the week.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Good one Paulj, let us know what happens.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
SneakyElephant said:
The one on the left is actually an inflatable DECOY ELEPHANT, which we use to fool the ivory hunters. The nasty poacher aims for the decoy and pulls the trigger...POP! No more elephant! Meanwhile, the rest of the herd makes off at top speed and is now safely out of range. Sneaky or what! (The one on the right is giggling to himself as he blows it up).

is he using Laughing gas?

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Probably...but don't light any fags just in case...the one on the left might be inflating the one on the right, now I come to think of it.
Edited by: SneakyElephant

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Have put in a permanent wire to earth. Different car now. Engine management has gone off
Thanks for all the advice as it's saved me a few quid!

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Glad it's fixed.
It would be a good idea to find where the fault is though, is it the sensor body or connectors back to the ecu and ground.

regards

dave s

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Earth wire has continuity to the main connector on the ECU. I'm assuming there is a bad connection inside.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
uhmmm! could be a dry joint on the connection pin to the pcb inside the ECU, wonder if the top clips off? for a resolder!

regards

dave s

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.