Nissan Note Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had our 08 1.6 Auto serviced today at Sturgess Leicester. Drove it home and now it won't start :-( Sounds fine but stops turning over after a few seconds, both keys do the same. The NATS light doesn't seem to indicate a fault, it's not flashing.

Will need to get it recovered back to the garage.

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
before you get it towed check the battery also check the plugs around the engine bay

it may be a duff battery what can make the ecu and bcm go nuts if you have a multi meter check the battery voltage it not give it a jump start its worth try befor you spend some cash

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Flash - tired both of those without success when the recovery truck turned up.

Sturgess "think" it might be a problem with the IPDM and want 2 hours (£180) to investigate.

Can the relays be replaced individually or is it a case of replacing the whole unit?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thinking aloud....

It will turn over precisely 3 times before stopping completely - exactly the same length of time each time. Is that not more likely to be an immobiliser-based issue than a IPDM/relay. It would seem strange to me if a faulty relay resulted in the car attempting to turn over for precisely the same duration each time before giving up completely.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
it could be a number of things, have you got a code reader any codes stored ?? the relays are changeable, it could be the inhibitor switch on the gear box, If it was the nats it should be a flashing light(s) on the dash
when you put it key in the ignition do you get all the lights come up and go out as thay should ???

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
All dash warning lights are as expected. The car has been at Sturgess since the 22nd so difficult to check stuff, looks like I'll have to swallow the diagnostic cost to start with.

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
Really?

It worked when you took it to them for service, it doesn't work now - coincidence?
Edited by: Nigel B

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Did they put any oil in? I bet it won't start if the oil is too low.

Most likely they disconnected something when they did the service, and haven't reconnected it properly.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Feedback is the that ECU is dead, it keeps blowing EPM fuses.

£820 + VAT for a new ECU....

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
Get hold of Nissan customer services ASAP to see if they will make a (significant) contribution.
No way should an ECU fail under normal use after four years.

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
if all else fails blame the ecu, this is a common get out for main stealers

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
This is going to be fun. 2nd garage have found the fault - a trapped wire causing a short by the inlet manifold. The one that would have been removed and refitted when they replaced the spark plugs during the service.

I think it's time for a full and frank exchange of views with a General Manager.

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
Enjoy every minute of your 'discussion'.
I think a free service (by a competent technician) should be the least they should offer. I would also suggest keeping Nissan Customer Services in the loop.

Once again, enjoy!

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
useless bunch of £$%££$ see my post above
atleast you got it sorted hopefully it didnt cost to much to sort

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
flash22 said:
hopefully it didnt cost to much to sort
£400 for the 2nd garage. I'm sure Sturgess will refund everything given it was their negligence in the first place compounded by an inability to diagnose their own error.

Watch this space.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just to finish off the story.

£310 original service.
£180 diagnosis.
£400 2nd garage.

Sturgess have agreed to refund £700.

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
Excellent, so, in effect, you got the service for £190 - result, save for anguish and 'discussion' which could all have been avoided had they done the job competently in the first place.

Edited by: Nigel B

1 - 20 of 22 Posts