Nissan Note Owners Forum banner

number plates

3K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  SneakyElephant 
#1 ·
The number plates on my 1.6 2008 Accenta are fixed with double sided tape. I now want to screw them inproperly,is it OK to drill through the rear number plate bodywork (plate recess area)withoutinterfering withanythingI shouldn't. Thanks

#3 ·
If you're drilling through a plastic number plate you don't want it to crack, so put a piece of masking tape over the area you want to drill first and mark the hole on it accurately. The tape will stop the drill bit chattering as it bites into the plastic and prevent it from splitting...just peel off the tape when you're done.

#4 ·
You may want to remove the plate to see if there are some plastic inserts in the bodywork for the self tapping screws that are usually used for this job, if there are then you will need to drill the plate to align with them using sneaky's method.

#6 ·
Hi Dubsie,

That's a strange one, I would think almost every car in theUKhas number plates at the rear end fixed with screws,why would it effect the paintworkwarranty?Two small self tap screws are hardly going to infect the cars complete bodywork with rust.I will take my chances and fix my number plates so they stay put and are not attractive to people who fancy nicking them.

#7 ·
If you want to stop them being used when stolen, you will need the shatter ones, using screws even so called security screws aren't much good. Mine were screwed on and still nicked on my previous car.

#9 ·
The second time my rear plate came loose the dealer said that the stick pads were not up to the job. Their workshop produced a tin of evil smelling glue and plastered some on. The mechanic said that there is no way that the plate will come off without it splitting/cracking. I am happy with that...now if only I can get them to fix the air-con.

#10 ·
dubsies said:
The second time my rear plate came loose the dealer said that the stick pads were not up to the job. Their workshop produced a tin of evil smelling glue and plastered some on. The mechanic said that there is no way that the plate will come off without it splitting/cracking. I am happy with that...now if only I can get them to fix the air-con.
If he tries to fix the aircon using the same tin of glue WALK AWAY...I used to know an old duffer who had a fixation with Araldite, using it on any part of his car that needed fixing. All went well until he decided to use it as head gasket sealant (Red Hermetite not good enough for him!) and the bugger holed a piston 3 weeks later. He tried everything to get that head off...cold chisel, blowtorch, oxy acetylene and CO2 fire extinguisher, hoping that the shock from red hot to freezing would crack the bond. NOPE! New engine was the only answer....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.