Nissan Note Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to look under the bonnet today, and discovered that the top plates( I dont know the techname) on both sideswhere the shock absorbersare bolted to the car, are filled with water ( from yesterdays rain). After quick inspection I noticed that lower gutter drain holes drain right on top of the shock obsorbers plate. So I decided to pour some water gently into the gutter and it does exactly that.. filling up the cup ... surely this does not look right. water = potential rust ! Wonder if any fellow note owners have similar complaint?

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Design fault.

My shock absorber top plates are as rusty as old iron.

I did think to make some sort of plastic deflector to go over them.
It is on my todo list, right under drill a bigger drain hole in the plastic scuttle beneath the wiper arms. The drivers side fills right up in heavy rain. I can see this being a big problem in the winter when musy snow freezes in there.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
with the bonnet shut, have you tried to pour water slowly through the gap at the top of the bonnet?and when you open the bonnet you might see water collecting on the shock absorber top plate. When I showed it to Nissan dealer today, somehow they couldnt believe it.. That I cant believe !!
If a design fault imagine all those millions of Notes out there with 2 reservoirs filled with water in wet weather ! and they dont do covers or rubber gaitors for it..

Before you drill, I dont think it is the exposed plastic beneath the wiper arm. but the second drainage plastic installation just under top of the bonnet.

Anyway I used Duck Tape for now to cover most of itto prevent water dripping into the void. It works, but so cheap looking !

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
They all do that Sir!

Read a few online reviews on the Note. They often comment on the water in the shock absorbers.

The wiper drainage worries me.
In The Olden Days, cars used to park the wipers on the windscreen above the heater outlets, so they were kept defrosted, and the spindles were well exposed and easy to clean of snow &ice.
Nowadays, the wipers are Below the heater outlets, and live in a great chunk of permafrost, so if you touch the wiper control in January, either a fuse blows (good) or the bellcranks pop apart under the scuttle (bad)

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I best keep the duck tape on to keep the absorbers nuts dry, since Im not going to look at it every day ..but will eventually attach a plastic implement in front of the drain holes to separate them and the absorbers plate.
Thanks for the warning about the wipers problemsin icy conditions.. I will check and loosen them in case if theygot frozen onto the windscreen.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'm glad somebody pointed this out, will add some duck tape to mine when I get a spare minute.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
before covering ,I fullysmearedthe shock absorber nut area firstwith grease to prevent rust. I am contemplatingalternative/neater solutions.. one of which iscleaning thevoid and fill itwith say clear bathroom silicone sealants, etc or those flexi black roof repairsealants.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Leaks due to Missing rubber washers
=======================
Today I decided to kill the leak. So I took my drill to see where is best to drill
replacement drainholes away from the shock absorber.
First gota tiny twig to poke through the offending drain holes,
and they all seem to run off behind the plastic scuttle.

All this time, water has been dripping through the screw holes because there
were not sealed. SoI cleaned the screws and the holes
and dabbed silicone sealant and put the screws back.
No more water for the shock absorbers ...

·
Registered
35 Posts
akat said:
All this time, water has been dripping through the screw holes because there
were not sealed. SoI cleaned the screws and the holes
and dabbed silicone sealant and put the screws back.
No more water for the shock absorbers ...

Any chance you could post a picture to clearlyindicateexactly which bit you are talking about? A How to would be even better than that - if you've got time!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was on the quick reply. little wonder...If you look directly above the top of theshock absorber nut, you will see a screw pointing downwards, almost directly at it. There is only one screw on each side.
That's where the water drips through, and encourage rust.

If you still dont know what I mean let me know and I do a pic for you...

·
Registered
138 Posts
Well.... I have to say a thanks to you guys for pointing this out....looked at my new Note after rain and true enough.....there were the top plates completely topped up to the brim with water.......so that started me looking at the ideas suggested here, and managed to find two plastic translucent food containers at a local store 70 p each....cut the bottom off and sealed them on top of the plates with dow corning sealant...had to make certain they sat on a good bed of silicone as around the back of them is difficult to smooth off nicely, but a stick with a bend did the trick....I did spray a silicone spray on the the strut nuts first as a bit of protection before the cover up took place.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
rebus .. why dont you use the best method I suggested directly before your posting. see the image<div sab="1203">Take the pastics screwplugs off on both sides. and smear/seal both the holes and the plugs with silicone before re-inserting the plug. or use uhu (i use plumbers Fernox silicone joint .)
<div sab="1203">These plastic screws just sit there in the hole, leaving lots of nooks & cranies for water to drip onto the shock absorber top.
<div sab="1203">
<div sab="1203">Once the plasticscrews areback on wipe off the excess sealants.once dry its more percect than the factory cheap job. really..no need to cut additional plasics to this.
<div sab="1203">
<div sab="1203">

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Papo maybe your fittings are different from mind shown in the above image.. If you take a photo of the same area and post it here. maybe we can see how different?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
<div sab="859">When I started this post, I took the car to Nissan, demonstrated to them by pouring water
<div sab="860">over the bonnet, 2 of the mechanics studied carefully and found nothing wrong like with everything else. Very sad that we have to work things out for ourselves.
<div sab="860">I can seefrom your photo belowthat the water is leaking through that screw. ( in red circle)
<div sab="861">It is not really a screw but a stud that looks like a screw. and it not water tight..
<div sab="861">that I presume applies to all notes.
<div sab="861">
<div sab="861">I used a thin object to prise it out, clean thestudand hole area. silicone
<div sab="861">them and press the screw back to ensure full coverage , and wipe off excess silicone.
<div sab="861">When dry the problem is solved.
<div sab="862">

1 - 20 of 63 Posts