Nissan Note Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I'm not a Nissan owner (yet), but I'm very much into buying a Note Tekna from 2015.
Came here to see your experiences and recommendations.
Best regards!

·
Registered
260 Posts
Hope it doesn't put you off entirely!

Seriously, read what you can about the E12. It has some strengths, such as practicallity and plenty of space, but build quality is not up to what Nissans used to be, and it seems the automatic version is somewhat fragile.

Good luck whatever you decide!

·
Registered
4,708 Posts
Can only wholeheartedly agree with @Potter.

The latter (and last) variant of the Note is built down to a price and component quality can be 'patchy'.

Whatever you do run, do not walk away from the CVT auto version. Fragile, gutless and obscenely priced to fix (£6000+ as a full replacement is the only solution).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you everyone for your replies!

The one I'm looking at is a 65 reg plate Note Tekna Style 1.5 dci. I really like the looks of it and regarding the boot space and practicallity, especially with sliding rear bench and 1.5 diesel engine (I drive 67 reg Clio at work everyday with 1.5 dci but 75bhp), they are all positive sides.

But reading car reviews (amongst others HonestJohn) and people's experiences on various forums, seems like Note doesn't have reliability I'm looking for:
- "iffy electrics"
- many say safety shield works very poorly or doesn't work in the rain
- auto wipers and headlights have "mind of their own"
- interior lacks build quality and is very scratchable
- problems with failing rear LED lights

- water leak / AC problems
- re-gas of the airconditioning very expensive because of the eco friendly gas

- premature wearing of anti-roll bar bushes

- StartStop system problems

Did any of you have problems like this? Someone said E11 Note was boringly reliable, I was hoping it would also be the case with E12...

·
Registered
6,725 Posts
Hi Jason_N
Reading your posts, you have already made up your mind about the 2015 Note, there is only one thing good about it, and that's the diesel engine. Look around and get something else, or you could regret purchasing the Note.

Saying that, I had mine from new (2011 - 2018) and the only problems I've had is two new front springs, and top swivel bearings. had it serviced every year and any little things done as required. Made sure the tyres were in tip top condition, new wiper blades every 6 months whether worn or not, (I do like a clean screen). Never had to put any oil in between services, always used Shell top grade diesel, not supermarket stuff.

There will be many E12 members who just adore their Notes, the 1.2 engine has been tuned for economy. It must have been a hit for Nissan as they don't make it now, they have made the Micra a bit bigger and that's it

·
Registered
260 Posts
I had a petrol engined Note for three years, essentially from new (pre registered but only 23 miles on the clock.).

I only did about four or five thousand miles a year but had very few issues with it.

I did have the front anti roll bushes replaced under warranty after mentioning a bit of a squeak from the front end, but that was it.

I wasn't a fan of the stop start system, it occasionally showed a weakness in the software by stopping the engine just as you wanted to start off if you had barely stopped, e.g. at a set of lights which change as you draw to a halt. I don't think it's any worse than any other system though, and it can be switched off with a button or apparently it can be permanently disabled by disconnecting the bonnet switch, because the system doesn't activate if it doesn't detect that the bonnet is shut.

As for LED lights, not all have them. Mine had "real" bulbs, apart, IIRC from the high level brake light. but I think some did and whole units have to be swapped if they fail.

Some interior plastics are a bit low rent, but then it's not an upmarket car.

Although the E11 was boring, it was more boxy so a bit more practical. The E12 was intended to appeal to a younger market. It might have succeeded slightly, but it's relatively early withdrawal from production speaks volumes.

I liked the Connect media system, but it again can be temperamental, is rather dated and the SatNav costs an arm and a leg to update.

Would I recommend one?

On balance, in spite of my relatively trouble free owning experience, I'd be reluctant to have another and would be equally reluctant to wholeheartedly recommend one to someone else.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I got rid of mine in the end, a 2015 E12 diesel top of the range equipment etc. It was just plagued with problems from brakes, steering, noisy injectors, bushes squeaking like mad and the constant rattles and creaks. After three months of ownership I hated it and got the dealer to swap it. They offered me another Note but I just couldn't do it again. It's a shame really because we have had Nissans before and they have been fantastic, but I think like all manufacturers, they are now building down to a price and not up to a standard.

I plumped for a Corsa in the end, something I promised myself I would never do and was very surprised at how well it works on the whole. I am very skeptical about cars now though so spend half the time I'm driving wondering what will go wrong.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I plumped for a Corsa in the end, something I promised myself I would never do and was very surprised at how well it works on the whole. I am very skeptical about cars now though so spend half the time I'm driving wondering what will go wrong.

My wife has a automatic Corsa and she thrashes the life out of it and it still comes back for more.

·
Registered
101 Posts
The Tekna style has a different suspension set up to the ordinary models.
The ride is harsh in the front and unbelievably harsh in the back.
I'm waiting to change mine as rear seat passengers HATE it.
Shame as, for a small car, it is roomy and practical.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Have to say I rather like my E12. Plenty of space, connect 2 works well and has some handy features and it’s comfortable! Not bad fuel usage either. I must admit that I need to get the belts sorted as occasionally there’s abit of slippage on wet and cold mornings though.

Overall it’s much better than my corsa was, but not as fun to drive.

·
Registered
134 Posts
We loved our 2015 Acenta premium with the 1.2 DIG-S engine. Quick enough, very spacious, refined for what is a cheap car and other than new front anti roll bar bushes (warranty fix) totally reliable. 47 mpg overall and almost 60 on a long trip.

Warning, don't buy any modern diesel unless you do over 15,000 miles a year. The DPF's just cog up and cost over £1000 to sort, not warranty unfortunately. With modern petrol versions doing excellent mpg figures the saving you make are small, the risk is high.

We only swapped ours because the MIL was finding it increasingly difficult to access/exit the car because of the higher seating position. The "normal" height of the replacement Fabia means its much easier (and safer) for her.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Can't fault Skoda We had an Octavia, you could get a bus in the boot, but the Fabia was akin to being on a high sea in a bath tub, it rolled about going round corners.

·
Registered
134 Posts
but the Fabia was akin to being on a high sea in a bath tub, it rolled about going round corners.
Ours is the current Mk 3 version. Handles nicely and rides surprisingly well on the 45 profile tyres (which I did not want when we bought it).

Tested a Mk 1 for dad back in about 2003 and that was a very decent but mum was having none of it, no Skoda badge for her. Ended up with a Jazz which was reliable but handles poorly and rode like a brick with poor seats, the Fabia was much better. Never tried a Mk 2 but it does look like its on stilts and quite narrow, not a classic design.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thank you everyone for your replies!

The one I'm looking at is a 65 reg plate Note Tekna Style 1.5 dci. I really like the looks of it and regarding the boot space and practicallity, especially with sliding rear bench and 1.5 diesel engine (I drive 67 reg Clio at work everyday with 1.5 dci but 75bhp), they are all positive sides.

But reading car reviews (amongst others HonestJohn) and people's experiences on various forums, seems like Note doesn't have reliability I'm looking for:
- "iffy electrics"
- many say safety shield works very poorly or doesn't work in the rain
- auto wipers and headlights have "mind of their own"
- interior lacks build quality and is very scratchable
- problems with failing rear LED lights

- water leak / AC problems
- re-gas of the airconditioning very expensive because of the eco friendly gas

- premature wearing of anti-roll bar bushes

- StartStop system problems Clean Master Adam4adam Mathway

Did any of you have problems like this? Someone said E11 Note was boringly reliable, I was hoping it would also be the case with E12...
Much prefer the E11. Read HonestJohn.co.uk review, might put you off buying one.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am interested in purchasing a used 2015 Nissan Leaf with around 40,000 miles on it. I live in South Carolina where average temperatures are 95 in the summer and we only have winter around 2 months of the year, the rest of the time is low to mid 80s. I have heard horror stories about heat degrading the battery and hope that my situation of living where i live will not cause issues as I am very interested in the EV life! Any help from other drivers would be grateful for battery usage or like-climate drivers?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts