Nissan Note Owners Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have owned 1.6 sve for 4 years, I wish I could say that they have been trouble free. Now that it is out of warranty,time only,mileage is 48000. The list is as follows 1. Rear wheel bearing replaced £147. 2.Front suspension rubbers require replcement,awaiting quote. 3. Nearside front knuckle joint worn 4. Serpentine belt squealing again. No joy from Nissan via their local francise. Not a car to recommend.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
you could find those faults with any manufacturer if you scan their relevant forums.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
i did over 150k each time in different cav's and vectra's, the forums are full of tails of woe, but in over 14 yrs of them, none ever broke down (petrols mostly and 2 diesels) apart from the usual tyres/ brakes/oils etc the only other replacements were one pair of rear shocks and that was after towing a caravan for 2 yrs.

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
as above thats nothing compaired to some makes i always had vauxhalls up till getting my note
i bought an 08 corsa what was 6-7 months old (5600 miles)i had the car a total of9-10 months and it had been back to the dealers 6 times i finally px'd for the note as the top end was rattling and vaux wouldnt touch it, i have since found out its had a total topend rebuild and new chain cost £3900 plus the vat according to my source at another dealers

try apug or citroen if you want problems and expensive fixes,A lady friend of mine had a 206/7 cc tin top convertable with a leaking roof, set of new seals, a motor and limit switches £1400 quid

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I bought a new Vauxhall Cavalier 2.0 GSI in 1990 and all it ever needed (apart from brake pads, wiper blades and fluids) was a new gearbox after 4 years, and I put that down to hammering the car for thousands of miles. An amazing machine, it refused to rust and gave 50 mpg no matter how hard I booted it.I finally gave it to a nephew in 2006 and he wrote it off a month later. The old Griffin has lost its mojo since then...such a pity. Modern Vauxhalls are so unreliable.

·
Registered
18 Posts
EXTREME I THINK YOU HAVE HIT A NERVE WITH OTHER NOTE OWNERS HERE BUT I AGREE 100% WITH YOU .A CAR CIRCA £13000 SHOULD NOT NEED EXPENCIVE REPAIRS AFTER 4 YRS A 3 YEAR WARRANTY IS OUT OF DATE THEASE DAYS IF THE CARS ARE AS GOOD AS CLAIMED THEN SHOULD BE 5 YRS .TELL IT HOW IT IS AND SOME PEOPLE PUT UP A DEFENCE WHY?MY CAR IS A 11 REG DCI NOTE 7500 MILES NO MAJOR PROBS YET BUT I WILL SELL BEFORE WARRENTY IS UP. MOST CARS HAVE THINGS THAT FAIL THESE DAYS THERES TOO HI-TEC INSTEAD OF HIGH QAULITY OR EVEN WELL MADE COMPONENTS . HONDA FOR ME IF I HAD THE MONEY

·
Registered
453 Posts
The Note rear wheel bearings are the same as the Clio, I think, and they are VERY poor.My Nissan Almera GTi that had done 140k miles never had any work done to it. I am sure that the specifications that the GTi car had been manufactured to was much higher than the Note. Therefore, the Note will have issues. I say this as I'm a Global Quality Manager for an automotive business and have an eye for 'quality'. You only need to look at the poor wheels Nissan have used...
However, the Note gives me 70mpg vs 35mpg and I don't mind knowing that it will need some ££££ spending on it at some point.
The back wheel bearings are very easy to do at home when you have the correct equipment.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Stanza, not a defence at all, just balanced. One poor experience doesn't make them all bad as per my two posts and you also have to take into account how when and where cars are looked after and driven, item 4 is a simple re adjustment of the belt that's all! that cannot be made into a manufacturing failing in any way, you may want to think that an auto tensioner should of been fitted but they fail also and when they do your stranded, a squealer will get you around for some considerable time. Honda are no different, check the forums, I did before buying a Note vs Jazz.

·
Registered
311 Posts
We had a Nissan Sunny 1.4ltr Auto about 20 yrs ago and that did in excess of 130K without ever needing anything except tyres, so its not down to the manufacturer or car its just down to who put it together on what day. Iv had Nissans, Fiats Citreons, Bmws, Vauxhalls, MGs, various cars without incidednt or fault plus ones with major faults such as drinking too much oil then require an engine change!! to needing whole new discs and pads after only 40K. Just put it down to experience, and remember nowadays everything is built to have a short life expectency (5yrs max), for example look at Vauxhalls Lifetime warranty if you read the small print it states maz mileage 100K are they only guaranteeing their vehicles to then?

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
greenplane said:
Just put it down to experience, and remember nowadays everything is built to have a short life expectency (5yrs max), for example look at Vauxhalls Lifetime warranty if you read the small print it states maz mileage 100K are they only guaranteeing their vehicles to then?
How very true...my 1974 VW Kombi had 52k miles when I purchased it. When it finally left my care, and with no more than regular maintenance (and one replacement clutch plate and cylinder head) it was still rolling at well over 270 THOUSAND MILES!!! The day I bought my 'Quarter Million Miler' dashboard badge was a proud one!

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
didn't the seats get a bit uncomfortable?

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
mdvineng said:
didn't the seats get a bit uncomfortable?
Cessna aircraft seats in the front to replace the original benches. You lose one bed that way but it still had the two roof hammocks for the kids (Devon Camper conversion, the best after Westphalia!) and the back benches slot together to make a double. I loved that old bus, and it was only the rot that finally killed it for me. Zeibart doesn't last forever! It also had the Ebersphacher underfloor heating, great for those cold mornings...just set the timer for 30 minutes pre-heat and you have a toasty warm vehicle when you wake.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
reminds me of my early days of motor racing, bivvy bags and leaky tents, then progressed to buying a second hand mattress on the way to Endinburgh (lumpy and full of fleas too) sleeping in the back of the transit whilst being rained on from the condensation, finally woke up wet and bitten, so ended up throwing the 50p mattress outside, followed by a day of scratching and yawning. The racing was good though, never did get around to a camper van though, when money was available we stayed in b&b's etc did wonders for my lap times having some sleep. we were always slightly jealous of peeps with caravans etc especially when it peed down.

·
Registered
18 Posts
MY NOTE HAS A WHISTLING AUTO CLIMATE CONTROL AND VIBRATING BULK HEAD WHEN REVERSING PLUS A SPLIT WINDOW SEAL ON THE FORMER NISSAN SAY INTERMITENT PROB WAIT TILL IT GETS WORSE EVEN THOUGH IT IS THERE EVERY DAY TILL WARM. NONE OF THESE ARE DUE TO MY DRIVING AND THE CAR IS STILL AS NEW. TOYOTA WARRANTY 5 HYUNDAI 5 KIA 7 VAUXHALL LIFE TIME OR 100K . AT 3YRS NISSAN HAVE SOME CATCHING UP TO DO. IT WOULD HAVE BEEN A HONDA JAZZ FOR ME BUT THERE IS NO DIESEL MODEL.I DO LIKE MY NOTE MORE THAN NOT IF I COULD CHANGE ONE THING IT WOULD BE TI BEEF UP THE BRAKES I FEEL THEY WOULD HAVE BEEN BETER WITH REAR DISCS.PLUS OPENING SUN ROOF IS ALWAYS NICE.
OWNED A MERIVA 1.7 CDTI FOR 5 YRS NO PROBS OR COSTS IN 5 YRS BUT IF YOU READ OWNERS REVIEWS THERE THE WORST CAR IN THE WORLD BUT FOR ME WAS ONE OF BEST CARS EVER OWNED BRAKE PADS LASTED 50K AND DISCS 62K .LOOKING AT MY NOTE BRAKES PADS AND DISCS WITH 7500 MILES ON CLOCK THERE IS NO CHANCE OF THEM BEING NEAR ABOVE.STILL IT WILL BE BETTER THAN MY 1979 SUNNY THAT LOST THE BOTTOM HALF OF BOTH DOORS DUE TO RUST LESS THAN 2YRS.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
I agree the Note has some short comings but on the whole it does most things very well. Mine has plastic creaks from dash area when temp is below 14°c, brake discs last around 22k although I there good enough as it's not a racing car, Nissan service quality does seem to leave a lot to be desired but I do all my own work. Be careful of the Honda aura of reliability, just as with other makes there are plenty of unhappy owners, I looked at both the Jazz and New Civic and finally rejected them both on certain issues (more on the Civic than the Jazz) I have experience of 3 Civics from friends (2 of them Co cars) the two diesels eat clutches and dual mass flywheels (I suspect driving style errors don't help) water leaks and retension in all 3, suspension rattles and creaks etc, mind you the squashy has some of those issues also. As with any make you can get a poor one or great one, the only difference is the overall ratio from make to make.

·
Registered
36 Posts
A few years ago i had a mk5 rs2000 that blew three engines in four months due to an electrical fault, then truned to nissans and in the six years ive owned one ive spent less than £200 pounds guess im just lucky........

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have 2 1.4 nissan notes from 2006, one with 113,000 and one with 22,000. Apart from consumbles (tyres, wipers, oil etc) they've both been almost problemfree. The 113,000 needed a new heater blower and the tailgate lock mechanism is intermittant, but other than that they have been the most reliable cars I have owned, and I ran VWs for almost 20 years.

Gaz

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.