Nissan Note Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have experience of a slightly notchy gearchange on Note 5-speed with 1.5 dCi engine? Mine's had this since 8000 miles when bought. It isn't objectionable but sometimes annoying.

Itaffects mostly 2nd and 4th on upward and downward shifts. I plan to get the Nissan dealer inspect it soon, but I'm wondering if anyone else has/had something similar with their car? There's a suspicion it's something to do with the gearbox synchromesh because if the gearchange is made more slowly the notchy feel is almst absent - unless maybe the cable linkages need lubricating. I'm not sure if they are adjustable or not.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
maybe they don't like being rushed?

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Get it looked at whilst it is under warranty.

I got caught out with my last car (Corsa) and a notchy gearchange.
I took it back once and got a new selector linkage, that made no difference (They are all like that Sir) so I just put up with it.

When I got hold of the service bulletins (eBay CD) it turns out that yes they are all like that
BECAUSE THEY ARE ALL FAULTY and if the customer keeps complaining the cure was to fit a set of gears that had actually been machined properly.

So I lost out.

·
Registered
25 Posts
if you find out what it is can you post it
had 3 nissan cars before this one a 1.5 dci sve and they all had lovely gear changes but
the one i got now is the same as yours .

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
If you have warranty, keep taking it back until they either fix it to your satisfaction or give you another car, or your money back to get rid of you.

I got my fingers burned on my last car. The manufacturer knew there was a faulty batch of gearboxes, but they didn't fix them under warranty unless the customer complained enough.
(Why should they, you must be perfectly happy or you would have gone back, so why waste money recalling and fixing them?)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Ours is notchy too. Mainly 2nd gear but sometimes changing out of 5th you have to wrench it out. That said once properly warmed up its quite slick and smooth. Also has on and off days.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Post script to this. The supplying dealer inspected and tested it. The gearchange was deemed normal and I have to admit after comparing to other dCi's no different to other cars they had. The cable adjustment was correct - gearlever bushes greased as they should be - andcables moving freely. The technician spent ages with me - testing this, checking that, and comparing to other cars both on site and on road test. So, nothing adrift or out of adjustment, and no different to any others available on the day. I accept it as a characteristic of the car, and continue liking the Note very much.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have asked for ours to be checked when they service it next week, guess it will be the same finding.

We are liking our Note very much too.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The car is nearing the end of its Nissan warranty period so I wanted the dealer to check this before. I trust the dealer concerned and know them well. They've attended to all other points I requested as warranty issues without question. The gearchange action is never what you'd call bad.... I just felt it could be better, hence the time with the dealer.

I do agree the comment about rushing the gearchange. Unless any car'sgearchange is super-slickit's best to shift a fraction more slowly and avoid snatching gears. Our Fiat Sedici's gearbox is exactly like that - it simplywon't shift quickly, and I suspect that's how many owners of those cars suffer snappedshift cables/joints. The Sedici and Suzuki SX4 6-speed 'box has a major design flaw withfeeble synchromesh in/out of 2nd -all of the 2006-2008 diesel 6-sp cars have the fault. The retrofit solution exists, but is simply too expensive for a car out of warranty (ours was) and most owners didn't have it done within the period. There are many forums posts on this! We love the car so accept the change as it is.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts