Nissan Note Owners Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I got this MOT fail and thought I would share the fix in case anyone else encounters it. As suggested, it usually means the beam image is totally wrong rather than just being too low or too high – on mine it was creating a round blob of light instead of the usual defined line you’d expect. When I looked at the headlight it appeared perfectly ok, so I was hesitant to buy a new headlight until I knew this one wasn’t fixable. When I looked at the back of the bulb it turned out that the clip that should hold the bulb in was slightly out of shape, enough to let the bulb move around and cause the problem. You could see the bulb move if you wriggled the connecter at the back, while looking through the headlight. I think the Note is quite prone to this because it is hard to change the bulb without pulling hard on the mountings to get the rubber cover off.

Picture showing bent clip and damaged damaged mounting:

Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting

First, I bent the bracket back into shape as best I could using the flat of a small spanner:

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Liquid Hood

This on its own wasn't enough to stop it moving so I also bent the wire clip back on itself to give it some of the original shape back:

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Steering wheel Steering part

After this is it was held in the right position and the beam image was back to normal:)

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
They really are awkward. Instead of locating in a slot, the tabs locate on some minute pips cast into the flat part of the holder. If you fit it whilst working backwards by feel upside down as you have to, and just rotate until it first goes in then fit the clip, it isn't in right, and gives the splodge of light effect.:rolleyes:

When viewed from the glass side (when off obviously :)) you can see that the base is slightly twisted.

Caught me out a few times on the Note (it goes through headlamp bulbs like an elephant eats sticky buns, whether that is the poorly made modern bulbs or the dodgy electrics I don't know)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts