Nissan Note Owners Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me if there is any means of adjusting the clutch clearance on the 1.5 Note Diesel ? The clutch engages uncomfortably high and there is no play in the pedal when the clutch is released. I know that the clutch is hydraulic and therefore should be self-adjusting, but is there any mechanical adjustment possible. After 10000 miles the clutch should not be worn out.

Richard

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Hi Richard, pedal height measured from the top of the pedal rubber to floor (without mats in the way) is 164<174mm and not adjustable, clutch disengagement is 100mm or more according to the manual. measure square and parallel to the floor panel. 10k miles is more than enough to wear a clutch out if your driving style is poor i.e. leaving it in gear at lights etc with the clutch just biting, Isee lots of it happening everytime I stop at lights.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks very much for the info. I suspected as much

How much of a job is it to remove the gearbox ? It's not that the clutch is slipping, but I would like to be prepared.

Richard

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Sorry can't help with that one as never done it! but ry a search on the forum to see if anyone else has.

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
does it change if you pump the clutch ?, it could be a number of things from the clutch fluid needs changing to a weeping slave cylinder

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The clutch disengages completely after a few cms of travel, so it can't be the cylinder.Its just that it is uncomfortable driving when the clutch has to be released so far before anything happens. If this was a simple cable system I would just create more clearance with the adjusting nuts, but this is hydraulic and the pedal will come back as long as there is pressure from the clutch diaphragm. I wondered if there was any means of shifting the operating point.

Thanks for your comments,

Richard

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
engage/disengage pont is around 100mm according to tech info, if thats not correct they mention replacing the assy but if they are all to spec what difference would it make? check the 100mm point first and if that's OK may be you can move the seat back if the arm reach allows to ease the foot position.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That was quick

I find this all a bit strange as it means that as the clutch wears, the pedal position will get higher and higher as there is no means of mechanical compensation. One ends up with a clutch that works perfectly and a very awkward pedal position.

Richard

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
pedal position shouldn't change as the hydraulic system compensates unless the small hole that lets fluid back in to the master cylinder reservoir is blocked.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts

this a generic picture to show a typical return path for the excess fluid generated by clucth plate wear.
Edited by: mdvineng

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
the slave is an concentric design, i would start off with changing the fluid, there should be 100mm of travel on the pedal

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you all very much for the superb assistance. I am travelling at the moment, hence the delay in replying.

Richard

·
Super Moderator
2,064 Posts
The clutch in my 2010 diesel Note has done over 70,000km from new, and is still Ok. But I have noticed the clutch pedal is slightly higher than the brake pedal, by about 20mm.

I've only ever replaced one clutch for reasons of wear, in all my 40+ years of driving. I think clutch wear equates to who and how the car is driven. I rarely use the gearbox to slow the car down.....that's what brakes are for(and cheaper to replace), as mentioned before......sitting at lights and in traffic with the foot on the clutch whilst in gear is a killer. 'Racing starts' won't help much, either.

If there's a hydraulic leak, the gears would be difficult to engage, and the clutch/gears would engage sooner, rather than later, if at all.

Change the fluid, as suggested, and check for leaks first. (Cheapest possible solution).

In all honesty, don't worry about your clutch/pedal until it gives up on you.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks to everyone who took the trouble to reply, and with such good detail. I have just bought the car which is the reason for my caution !

Richard

1 - 16 of 16 Posts