Nissan Note Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1.6 automatic Note , 57 plate, 22k miles has a noisy fan belt typically first thing in a morning when the engine is cold. Bought the car in December 2011 and had the belt changed and adjusted in Jan / Feb 2012 but the noise came back again in March and persists. Do I need to

A Get it adjusted again?
B Takeit to a Nissan garage who perhaps understand Note better?
C ignore it / put up with it - or will this be detramental to my car.?

I like my Note ( although the steering is no where near as good as my late Micra) but this noisy fan belt is stopping me having care free motoring like I did in the Micra.

Any advice please?

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
i would pop the belt off and check the pulleys apart form that get it adjusted up again

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will call at the garage again tomorrow and ask them to do as you advised. Is this a known problem with a Note? Problem is I was spoiled 8 years trouble free motoring with my micra so I still have my worried head on that comes with making the decision to change a reliable car and invest more herad earned cash . Thanks for your advise.

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
its just a belt slipping new belts will stretch a little as thay bed in also the belts dont flex and give in the cold and the wet
squeeling belts are a common problem amain stealerwill charge around the £50 mark, retail on the belt is 14 odd quid and the rest is labour but some wont touch unless its part of a service

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just joined Note forum & found your belt noise problem. My Note is same as your 57 1.6 Auto with about 15,000 miles & has had this issue for some time despite adjusting the belt.

Wondered if you got it fixed & if so how was it remedied ??

Yesterday I applied some oil to the idler pulley shaft/bearing ( located front of engine under alternator ). This seemed to cure the squeak completely.However squeak has returned today.
My conclusion is that this indicates that noise is coming from idler pulley bearing. This probably due to a manufacturing fault ie. poor or contaminated bearing material.

Please let me know your comments.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Mine squeaks like the devil first thing in the morning. (1.6 auto 15,000 miles)
I have to turn the radio up to not hear it, and keep staring straight ahead to not make eye contact with all the laughing and pointing pedestrians

I did have a look at the engine, found I can't even see the belt, never mind adjust it.
Could be a dry idler bearing like you say, I wonder if a new one is a) £5 b)£50 c)£150? (money is on c)

Ah well, when it breaks/seizes I suppose I'll have to do something about it

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
it shouldnt be to bad price wise as its not a auto tensioner looks like a dealer part only tho

·
Registered
2 Posts
Have had the same issue with 59 plate 1.6 Auto.

Belt was replaced by main dealer at 15K. Problem came back at 20K.

It seems to be caused by damp on the belt (i.e. first thing in the morning)...
Spray on belt dressing works and is a lot cheaper than replacing the belt.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just fitted new engine belt & idler pulley. Note - service book I have shows 2 belts but my Note has only one. Suspect my book is early edition. Bit of a fiddly job but not too bad. Short road test seems to indicate belt squeal is fixed. Worst of this is cost of Nissan parts- belt £30.42 & pulley £100.82 !!!!!! unbelievable.
Just hope squeal does not return will keep you all posted.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts