Nissan Note Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, sorry if this has been asked before, did search but can't find an answer so thought I'd ask for some help. I have a note auto 1.6 tekna
My aux belt makes a noise when under high stress, like the air con being on, or going up hill at 40 (which is when I first noticed it) and sometimes at startup. I had the belt changed at the garage and the noise persisted and after taking it back a few times they changed it for a Nissan part, noise went. Now after 30,000 miles the noise is back. The garage also say that my battery needs changing as it is not holding the charge according to the computer but the AA man says that the battery is fine according to his computer! Are the two linked and does the belt generally go after about 30,000 miles (2 1/2 years). Sorry also when I had a full service completed (Feb this year) the garage said the belt was fine and that it has a auto tightener?
Any help be much appreciated as want to get rid of the noise.

·
Registered
722 Posts
The aux belt "turns" pulleys on the water pump, the altenator and ( sometimes ) the air con.
The belt could be worn after 30,000 miles but if it has been checked and reported as being fine then i would get a check done on the items it connects to in order to make them function, mentioned above. A bearing could be on it's way out if the noise comes back as you mention.Otherwise fit the most expensive belt you can afford and monitor how it gets on.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
It is a manual adjuster, that is awkward to get at, although an experienced garage should be able to do it from the top.
The manual says to remove the wheel arch liner to get at the nut.
30,000 is a bit low for a ribbed belt, but it probably just wants adjusting.
Mine screeches in the Winter for a few seconds whilst the alternator is making an effort, then it is ok. (No, I can't be bothered adjusting it ;) )
My air-con gave up years ago, so I don't notice it when going along.

If the battery is considerably more than 5 years old, get a new one from Tayna before Winter, with an auto it isn't worth risking having it fail when you are the last one on the carpark at work going home.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts