Nissan Note Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone I have had a Nissan Note Tekna Auto for just under two years, upon start up first thing in the morning the car sounds like an old tin can rattling, after driving a mile or so and warming up it sounds ok again, it has been back to the dealer a few times and guess what that can not find a thing wrong.The car has just done 40000 miles and it is a 2007 model.
I dont mind but some mornings it sounds really bad, it is a lot worse in the winter, it has been serviced and Ichangethe oil and filter every 6000.
I wouldappreciate any ideas.
Thank you

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
it's highly likely to be the aux drive belt being damp and or slightly under the tension spec. See other post regarding this there are lots.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys for the messages the noise seems to come from from the middle orunderneaththe engine area but it is very hard todetermine, it only really makes the noise more when you drive, once the engine starts to warm upitseems better, Idon'tknow its a lovely car but some times annoying !Thank you for any replies

·
Registered
39 Posts
PaulH said:
Thanks guys for the messages the noise seems to come from from the middle orunderneaththe engine area but it is very hard todetermine, it only really makes the noise more when you drive, once the engine starts to warm upitseems better, Idon'tknow its a lovely car but some times annoying !Thank you for any replies

That's exactly what I got in my Note Tekna 58 plate. Rattle which I thought was coming from the dash somewhere, only hear it when cold first thing til it warms up, then quiet. I cant find it so turn up the music til its gone.

Izzy

·
Registered
1 Posts
just joined. Have the same trouble a bad rattle occasionally on start up if I leave it outside. If I garage it so far it hasn't occurred. Honest John saysancillarybelttensioner, and I have just taken it back to main dealer who says that they have never known a problem with this!. They say it is just damp on the belts and there is nothing they can do about it.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
royc said:
just joined. Have the same trouble a bad rattle occasionally on start up if I leave it outside. If I garage it so far it hasn't occurred. Honest John saysancillarybelttensioner, and I have just taken it back to main dealer who says that they have never known a problem with this!. They say it is just damp on the belts and there is nothing they can do about it.

As long as they at least checked the tension of the belt? then fair enough but any garage that quotes "they have never known a problem with this" is always suspected of trying to avoid the issue rather than look at it.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
More than likely it is just the alternator drive belt.

Mine sounds like someone rattling a stone in a tin can at first start up, then it changes to a twittering, then it goes quiet enough that I can't hear it from the inside with the radio on (at 99% volume
).

I do have to avoid eye contact with laughing and pointing pedestrians though

I spray belt dressing at mine every few weeks, adjustment is strictly on a "when I get a round tuit" basis, as it involves dismantling half the car.

Bad Nissan! (Even V**xh*ll had heard of spring tensioners 20 years ago)

·
Registered
19 Posts
I had this problem with a Nissan Micra - only in the winter when cold. When the car warmed up noise disappeared. I was told by dealer it was the exhaust rattling within a supporting bracket which disappeared due to exhaust pipe expanding and therefore becoming a tight fit within the bracket when warm
Apparently there was a mod to the original bracket but I did not bother getting it changed once I knew it was nothing serious
Had the car for 5 years without incident

·
Registered
39 Posts
I can quite believe thiscosas my car warms up (exhaust warms) the rattle dies away.Anyoneknow which exhaust bracket is the problem asI'dhave a go at sorting it, does get annoying don't it.

Izzy

·
Registered
39 Posts
Thinking about it again, I only notice this when I'm actually in motion and not at idle, mm!! Reckon its the same rattle?

Izzy

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well thanks Guys for the replies I can not quite believe it it does sound like the exhaust because it does sound veryrattly only when cold and only when pulling away never when just idling out of gear, does anyone know which bracket? I personally do not think it is the belt on my car because it neverscreeches, so it does seem to be the exhaust, the car has been back quite a few times and they can never find the problem.So if anyone knows please let me know
Paul

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
you will need to monitor the outside temperature for when it does and doesn't do it to see if it is a size issue, other than that go under the car when it's cold and tug on the pipes.

·
Registered
3 Posts
katieb said:
I had this problem with a Nissan Micra - only in the winter when cold. When the car warmed up noise disappeared. I was told by dealer it was the exhaust rattling within a supporting bracket which disappeared due to exhaust pipe expanding and therefore becoming a tight fit within the bracket when warm
Apparently there was a mod to the original bracket but I did not bother getting it changed once I knew it was nothing serious

Had the car for 5 years without incident

Our Note also makes a rattly noise some mornings on start up. We have only had the car about 8 weeks and it has only done 8000 miles (very low mileage 2009) .

The rattle lasts no more than a minute and I could well believe that it's a loose-ish pipe bracket. It gets louder when putting in drive but goes quiet as said within a minute. It has only done in the last couple of weeks and possibly only happens when it's a bit colder outside??

·
Registered
4,708 Posts
Mine is the auxilliarydrive belt.
First time out in the car in three days today and the squeal frightened the life out of the cyclist on the pavement
- added bonus!!

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
mine made a strange noise this morning like sneeky with his trunk stuck in a door but it had been sitting since xmas dayafternoon

·
Registered
39 Posts
WellI'vebeen under the car, couldn't see any issues with the exhaust bracket but I did notice that the thin metal heat shield seemed to be touching the exhaust so I bent it slightly so it wasn't touchingany more. I also noticed that the fan housing had a little play in it at the bottom where it clips together so sorted thatas well. The next morning I was pleasantly surprised to hear ' next to nothing'
so I'm thinking could this be your problem as well guys?Happy chappie I am.

Izzy

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm having a similar issue. I love my Nissan note. It is a 1.6 petrol ntec and I bought it last February. It has been running fine until just after Christmas last year. It started making a screeching noise when it pulled away and you were accelerating in low gear. It then started to rattle - the best way to describe it is to say it sounds like a really old diesel black taxi cab. I took it in to nissan and they said it is the auxillary belt. They replaced it under warranty. It carried on making the rattle noise (but without the screeching noise) so I took it back in again. They said it was the auxilary belt that needed tightening. It has continued to make the noise even still and is just getting louder. After a minute at most it stops and it is much worse on cold damp mornings. It is now Friday night and Nissan have had it since Wednesday - as per flippin usual it hasn't made a single noise since it's been in. I am going back tomorrow morning (Saturday) to start it up and drive it off with a mechanic with me after the car hasn't been moved in a few days. I hope it makes the noise but I bet it won't. Does anyone know what the noise can be? Could the new auxilary belt they fitted be faulty or could it be something else?<div style="line-height: 16.7999992370605px;">

<div style="line-height: 16.7999992370605px;">I have uploaded a video with a recording of it (see below). The start is the normal engine running noise from inside the car - very quiet. At about 3 seconds there are 2 bangs, that is me going over one of those horrible block paving speed bumps and my phone jumped on the dashboard, so ignore that. After that you will hear the rattle.
<div style="line-height: 16.7999992370605px;">

<div style="line-height: 16.7999992370605px;">[TUBE]JP-o4pJvtuQ[/TUBE]
<div style="line-height: 16.7999992370605px;">

<div style="line-height: 16.7999992370605px;">Any suggestions before going back tomorrow morning would be gratefully received!!!

1 - 20 of 56 Posts