Nissan Note Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What about this story. Saw a thread on honestjohn.uk already. Then came across this: Timing Chain Defects

How are our chains doing?
Strikes me that nissan pledged in court that life expectancy of their vehicles is only 120.000 miles? Well if that is normal for a car in the USA....

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I don't think they are the same engines as in the Note.

The USA Joke uses the MR engine, and the others on the list use a decent sized V6- the VQ engine.

The HR engine used in the Note is used in loads of Renault derivatives like the Duster, Megane & Micra, and they aren't on the list.

Reactions: Boysie

·
Registered
135 Posts
The 1.4 petrol engine in the Mk 1 (E11) Note is the same engine that Nissan used in the K12 Micra 1.2 and 1.4 but this is not an HR engine, it is coded CR. We had 2 of those and did not have an issue but they were known to suffer timing chain issues if the correct oil spec was not used. The oil required originally was semi synthetic 5w30 A2/B2 but that spec was later superseded by A1/B1 and subsequently A5/B5 (which is normally sold as a synthetic oil), all 3 are compatible and are easily available at very reasonable prices.

I believe the E11 Note (and the K12 Micra) in Europe did use the HR engine but it was only the 1.6 Petrol

At one service the garage (Nissan dealer) proudly told me they had saved me about £10 by using 15w40 mineral oil and I went ballistic. I asked to speak to the boss and told him that they either change the oil to the correct spec with me able to see what they were doing or I would report their shoddy practices to Nissan. The boss claimed he knew nothing about this and agreed that the 15w40 mineral should only be used in older engines. So they changed the oil and agreed that my next service would be free.

But it shows what a risky business it is when you go on Halfords oil choose site. I put in the reg for the Micra and it offered me a choice of 4 oils and out of those only 1 matches the Nissan spec for the car. And how much more expensive is the correct oil above the cheaper incorrect oil, £24 against £21 (both 5 litre containers). They also offer 2 other oils they offer (both unsuitable) which are £26 and £33 for 5 litre containers.

Its a case of RTFM (read the feckin manual).

·
Registered
2 Posts
I recommend Lidl semi synthetic engine oil 10w/40 for summer, full synthetic 5w/30 for winter. Only 15euro and very good quality. I used it for my e11 over 20k km. My engine still running smoothly.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts