Nissan Note Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. New to the forum.

Recently got my hands on a nissan note 2007 se 28k on clock.

I like the car very much but I may or may not have a problem.
It has been addressed before but I am not sure if it was resolved.

The car drives great, but on turning the wheel right about 30 degrees there is a subtle single, or double knock. You can feel it slightly through the wheel. It is more noticeable when you are turning right from being stationary or doing a tight manoeuvre. It does not happen when the car is stationary.

I drove a few notes before I got this one and to be honest found the steering on some a little clunky and 'loose' feeling.

The stering while driving feel fine and very stable.

Could this be the electric steering motor coming on and off? I have had a mechanic get it on the ramp and he says everything underneath is in great shape.

Am I being paranoid as I am not use to electric steering or could it be something else?

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
some peeps have had success with just lubricating the sliding portions of the steering column by putting a few drops of oil on the top part of the slides and letting it work it's way down. check the forum by using the search function and it will bring up a lot of info regarding steering clunks etc

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info. Looked at some other stuff on the forum.

No problems going over bumps so sounds like probable cause.

Any tips on type of oil or grease? Any idea how much a repair would cost, I dosent sound to big (I hope!)

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
I can't comment on costs as I do my own work but the steering link is not difficult to replace so shouldn't be too much. Lube wise I would use Omnigliss ( Dow Corning ) but any motor oil will get down the splines just don't use too much as it will only end up on the flooring so little bit then a bit later on should do it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi, I have had this problem with my 2007 Note since new. Back & forth to Nissan and told the same thing - nothing wrong with the steering or suspension.

A local mechanic friend of mine suggested it was the intermediate steering shaft and I should go back to Nissan and suggest they look at it. A Nissan tech went out for a drive with me and said he could feel it. He told me it could quite likely be the I-shaft or the universal joints, but there are no guarantee's that the clunk / knock / rattle would go away, but also said that there is nothing else that could cause the fault. He also mentioned that the bolt connecting the universal joint to the rack is about an inch too long out the joint.

The part costs about £180 and apparently the part is on backorder with Nissan, awaiting stock from Europe. The labour charge is £160 to fit the shaft and for tracking. I don't understand how this shaft change affects the tracking, but they are the experts. I also don't know where else to get the part from.

Jfly, how have you got on with yours?

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
I would lubricate the sliding section from the top with some graphite chain lube, it's unlikely that the uj's will be worn as they do so little work but the sliding up and down bit sticks as there is no lube from new. Others have done this with success. takes minutes and easy to do.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
someone's had too many sticky buns again

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have just lived with it as I haven't got the time to sort it fully.

After 3000 miles it is still the same. The wife dosent really notice it and she does most of the driving!

I will try to lube it when I get the chance, some pointers on how to do this on the forum. I am a little nervous about doing this as it is the steering I am messing with.

It's a little bit of a shame as it does slightly spoiled another wise good drive.

·
Registered
151 Posts
reading on the forum, theintermediate steering shaft can be adjusted. correct adjustment cured a members issue. i did this on our Note and made it worst *must have adjusted it the wrong way. later re did it and its slightly better than initially. as above the missis doesn't notice it at all, so happy days

1 - 13 of 13 Posts