Nissan Note Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All.

Looking for my note to get a good service I have contacted my local Nissan dealer and they are looking for £229.00 for a "Gold Service" This includes the following work:::

<ul style="margin: 0px 1.5em 1.5em; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; color: rgb65, 65, 65; font-family: verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif; line-height: 18px;"><li style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; font-style: inherit; list-style: disc outside;">Note body work and windscreen damage<li style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; font-style: inherit; list-style: disc outside;">Check the lights and horn are in working order<li style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; font-style: inherit; list-style: disc outside;">Check the Washers and Wipers<li style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; font-style: inherit; list-style: disc outside;">Change the engine oil<li style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; font-style: inherit; list-style: disc outside;">Fit a new sump plug washer<li style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; font-style: inherit; list-style: disc outside;">Fit a new oil filter in the engine<li style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; font-style: inherit; list-style: disc outside;">Check the brake pipes and lines<li style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; font-style: inherit; list-style: disc outside;">Check the exhaust system<li style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; font-style: inherit; list-style: disc outside;">Check the front and rear brake pads/shoes<li style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; font-style: inherit; list-style: disc outside;">Inspect tyres and set tyre pressure<li style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; font-style: inherit; list-style: disc outside;">Report on tyre tread depth<li style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; font-style: inherit; list-style: disc outside;">Check the cooling system for leaks<li style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; font-style: inherit; list-style: disc outside;">Check the antifreeze content<li style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; font-style: inherit; list-style: disc outside;">Check all the drive belts (excluding the cambelt)<li style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; font-style: inherit; list-style: disc outside;">Check brake fluid level<li style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; font-style: inherit; list-style: disc outside;">Add screen wash and top up<li style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; font-style: inherit; list-style: disc outside;">Check and adjust the clutch cable (if required)<li style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; font-style: inherit; list-style: disc outside;">Check the condition of the battery<li style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; font-style: inherit; list-style: disc outside;">Road test to check: brakes, steering, suspension, engine, gearbox, heating system and for any noises.<li style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; font-style: inherit; list-style: disc outside;">Pressure check the cooling system<li style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; font-style: inherit; list-style: disc outside;">Check the suspension dampers<li style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; font-style: inherit; list-style: disc outside;">Check the handbrake operation<li style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; font-style: inherit; list-style: disc outside;">Fit new spark plugs (petrol engines only, platinum spark plugs replaced at extra cost)<li style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; font-style: inherit; list-style: disc outside;">Fit a new air filter<li style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; font-style: inherit; list-style: disc outside;">Check and advise on the condition of the cambelt<li style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; font-style: inherit; list-style: disc outside;">Check and adjust the idle speed (if necessary)<li style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; font-style: inherit; list-style: disc outside;">Replace the brake fluid and bleed the brakes.<li style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; font-style: inherit; list-style: disc outside;">Replace the coolant<li style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; font-style: inherit; list-style: disc outside;">Fit a new fuel filter<li style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; font-style: inherit; list-style: disc outside;">Check and adjust the ignition timing, if required<li style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; font-style: inherit; list-style: disc outside;">Check and adjust emissions, if required<li style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; font-style: inherit; list-style: disc outside;">Check the PCV system<li style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; font-style: inherit; list-style: disc outside;">Wash and Vacuum<li style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; font-style: inherit; list-style: disc outside;">Stamp the Service Book[/list]Anyone know of anything better / cheaper and your thoughts.

P.S my Note is 1.4 ( 2006 )

Thanks.
JON.

·
Registered
128 Posts
That's a lot of money for not a lot in my opinion. Most items are checks in which the fitter will just take a quick look at, maybe give a little push/pull/twist. The only things that cost money and which can be done yourself cheaper are
roughly expected prices at euro car parts (depending on which discounts they are running at the time)
Change Oil £20
Change oil filter £3.50
Sump washer £50p
Screen wash £1
Change spark plugs £15
Change air filter £1.90
Replace coolant £15
Fuel filter £10

Total £66.90 (retail price)
A decent independent garage should charge about an hours labour to do the checks...say £45...or maybe an hour and a half in labour to include fitting of the new parts. Only thing is you won't get the book stamped at an independent

Then again, getting a stamp doesn't mean the work is carried out. My note 36k miles when I got it had a full set of stamps but I found the fuel economy to be poor. I do my own servicing and had an investigation. Turns out that the air filter was choked severely and it was clear that it had never been replaced, the oil filter was old and a real bugger to remove, again never replaced. The spark plugs were also rather worn and I suspect originals. The oil was nice and shiny though. New oil was put in but they never changed the filter.

For me £229 is a lot of money for what amounts to not a lot. Cash cost to the dealer for parts will likely be around £40 plus the wages for a fitter to spend under an hour doing his thing = big profit for dealer. (You can perhaps tell that I have never once had a good experience with main dealers servicing departments in the 25 years I have been driving) LOL

·
Registered
276 Posts
crunchie said:
You can perhaps tell that I have never once had a good experience with main dealers servicing departments in the 25 years I have been driving

+1 from me to that

Edited by: GeorgeP56

·
Registered
4,708 Posts
Meanwhile back in the real world (with prices from GSF)

Air filter £6.22
Spark plugs £16-60 depending on type fitted
Oil filter £5.04
Fuel filter £10.00
Oil £35.40 (decent quality synthetic)
Sump washer £1.07
Coolant (including 20 mins labour)£30

So that's £103-147 on bits plus say 90 minutes to do a proper job for everything on the list including the road test. Where can you still find a £45/hr garage? My local independent now charges £60.00 inc.VAT
So, tot it up an you have £193.00 - £237.00. Doesn't make the £229.00 look too bad especially if it includes a year's roadside assistance which in inclusive on many Nissan dealer services.

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
fuel filter ?? isn't it a lifetime one in the tank

I would also do the cabin filter while your at itEdited by: flash22

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What is the cabin filter? I am getting it all done tomorrow so think I will go for it.

I take it the cabin filter isn't included in the thing and it will need doing? It's a 7 year old car :)

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
the cabin filter should be done yearly the filter is about £6-7 quid or about £12 from the main stealers

its a simple job you can do yourself

·
Registered
128 Posts
Nigel, here in Glasgow, there are still a few independent garages who are charging in the £45 hr mark. They are the old-school motor engineer types with limited computer equipment. Their experience fair makes up for a lack of tech. Brownes Garage in Dennistoun is £45 hr, TJ servicing in Riddrie is £40hr. Although these small independents are slowly getting few and far between as the car industry's increased use of computers in vehicles are making it too expensive for the wee guys to keep up with modern diagnostic equipment.

·
Registered
4,708 Posts
Lucky sod!

My local independent, who has looked after our family cars for over 35 years, is now £60 (inc VAT) per hour. He is by no means a rip-off merchant and as honest as the day is lo9ng (don't ever go in December
).

He has invested tens of thousands of pounds in diagnostic kit but won't touch anything but the basics on Nissans and Reanaults as there are dealers within 1000 yards of his door.

Long may he keep thriving say I but I fear that after three generations, this may be the last of that family to run the garage.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
It's difficult for the smaller independent to keep up with diagnostics but my friends garage in Liverpool use a very good mobile diagnostics man as and when they get stuck with the trickier issues, talking to him awhile ago he has over £45k of diagnostic kit in his van.

·
Registered
4,708 Posts
Yes, same here, my local guys call in an independent but I know thathis full VAG diagnostics package alone was over £25k so having £45k's worth on his van doesn't surprise me.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Our Note's first service cost £170, can't wait for the car to be 3 yrs old as the cost goes down to £140 !

Edited by: dandgb

·
Registered
74 Posts
Yeah, with inflation should be up to £170.Still not sure why cars up to 3 yrs old cost more to service than cars beyond that age.

·
Registered
276 Posts
dandgb said:
Still not sure why cars up to 3 yrs old cost more to service than cars beyond that age.
Maybe they thinkthat people who own cars less than 3 years old have more money to <strike>waste</strike> spend

·
Registered
4,708 Posts
Probably take a bit more care during the warranty knowing that they will have to pick up 'the tab'.

After three years of course they can make much more money from the 'defects', for which you will be paying, that they find during servicing .

·
Registered
36 Posts
As a comparison point for price, I had service #2 done independently in South London (using Nissan parts, of course) for £130. Plus the owner was a nice guy, which is not something you'll normally encounter at the stealership.

We're always well under the mileage limits, so service #3 will be the big one where he needs to find anything even slightly loose so it can get sorted before the warranty runs out.

I only really have 2 complaints about this car. 3 year warranty is miserly and it needs a 6th gear (or at least a taller 5th).

·
Super Moderator
2,014 Posts
After my warranty has run out this July, I will revert back to what I've done with all my cars. Change engine oil, plus all filters twice yearly(subject to mileage). And the rest will look after itself.

My Note will be kept until it's run into the ground, unless I win the lotto.

·
Registered
887 Posts
remember calling up for the big service on the micra back in 2010. Quoted £450. Different nissan dealer charged £210. Bloody mad, never went back to the first garage! If I was going to have older cars I would do the job myself, however I am buying under guarantee cars these days.

·
Registered
21 Posts
hi all, just had a full service which includes 90% of the work done by main dealer, this was carried out by kwikfit at Helensburgh in Scotland,total cost was £145 which with a discount token from when I had 2 tyres fitted came in at £116, this included new plugs as well, they reported that rear brake shoes required replacing, this I did myself (cost of shoes was pennies under £32 was quite happy with this as the lads did not push for extra work to be done just advised.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts