Nissan Note Owners Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Guys and Gals, well I have an E11 1.6 petrol and apart from a front spring its been a model of reliability. I would recommend it to anyone, and it's not driven lightly. I prefer the look of the E11 to the E12 as well as being faster (1.6) and very economical. Probably the best all round car I have owned in my 50 years of driving ( and 30 cars.)

·
Registered
205 Posts
as well as being faster (1.6) and very economical.
Dad had a 1.6 Almera (pretty sure same engine) and you are right, it was faster than our 1.2 DIG-S.

But as for economy there was no comparison. Our DIG-S averaged 50mpg (calculated) over the 3 years and could manage 60mpg on a coast trip. The 1.6 Almera averaged in the mid 30's and dad never saw better than 45mpg. Suppose it was economical compared to some of his older less powerful cars but compared to more modern cars it was pretty rubbish. Our recently sold Skoda Superb 1.4 TSi 150 PS averaged a true 45 mpg over almost 4 years and on holiday runs we saw as much as 55 mpg. Incredible for a very big and still pretty quick car.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Guys and Gals, well I have an E11 1.6 petrol and apart from a front spring its been a model of reliability. I would recommend it to anyone, and it's not driven lightly. I prefer the look of the E11 to the E12 as well as being faster (1.6) and very economical. Probably the best all round car I have owned in my 50 years of driving ( and 30 cars.)
The looks of a particular model are a personal choice.. I prefer the look of a 2020 Mercedes S500 to any Note, but funds dictate..
I'm amused by speed being a factor with a more senior driver. I passed my test in 1974 in a 1200 Viva..(0-60 in around 15 minutes).
So i longed for a quicker car and soon bought a Rover 2000TC.
(very nice)
But would i care about speed now?
I'll only drive 2 miles to the allotment, or 1 mile to the Darby and Joan club when it eventually re opens.
Economy is the main factor for me, and I'm pleased with the near 60mpg that my trusty steed returns added with the £25 a year road tax.
I guess it's all down to your own personal situation and needs.
With the rear seats down i can load an amazing amount of kit into the Note and it's about as cheap motoring as it gets on my retired budget.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Surely some of the variance for E11 reliability is stuff that was fixed over the years? Ours has a Feb. 2011 manufacture date, and the bloody leaking tail lights is the only problem we've ever had with it. In fact, I'm astounded that the 10 year-old battery still works. Is that the norm for cars these days? I never had one go past 6 before. It's certainly the most reliable thing I've ever owned. (Mutters under breath about BMW's opinion that a water pump is regular replacement item. Though I have to admit my E24 was pretty reliable outside of eating water pumps.)

I think tastes have moved on, in terms of a Mk3. Proper compacts are now the size of a Mk1, and the "compact, but a bit bigger" market is all cross-overs. I fancy a CX-30, personally, but so long as this car continues fault-free I can't quite justify it. Much like my discussion with the mrs over how much I want an OLED telly. :D

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm new to Notes: an 08 1.6 auto, intense blue - lovely colour. I'm rather surprised at the 'E11 is crap' posts because its had longer to develop faults and lets not forget likely had more owners too, every car has its issues. Mine has the subframe bush issues and sway bar stand-off bolted to the nearside chassis box section its shodily fixed to that fatigued: I'm in the process of fixing that by welding a large block to the outside of the box section so that it has greater support with no leverage/flexing metal fatigue issues. I concede that is a shitty design issue that Nissan used to overcome the automatic gearbox obstructing the manuals versions swaybar fixing point. Discussion of that with photo's here: Nissan Note 1.6se - Front knocking noise

·
Registered
995 Posts
I'm new to Notes: an 08 1.6 auto, intense blue - lovely colour. I'm rather surprised at the 'E11 is crap' posts because its had longer to develop faults and lets not forget likely had more owners too, every car has its issues. Mine has the subframe bush issues and sway bar stand-off bolted to the nearside chassis box section its shodily fixed to that fatigued: I'm in the process of fixing that by welding a large block to the outside of the box section so that it has greater support with no leverage/flexing metal fatigue issues. I concede that is a shitty design issue that Nissan used to overcome the automatic gearbox obstructing the manuals versions swaybar fixing point. Discussion of that with photo's here: Nissan Note 1.6se - Front knocking noise
There is some evidence from this forum that one or two E11's have had several issues (ask sineu)
But in fairness many other owners have done high mileages with theirs so i guess if you've got a good one that's not showing any drastic probs you'll be fine.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts