Nissan Note Owners Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a 2009 Tenka 1.6 auto with 22000 miles on the clock.

The first three days were great and I was very impressed with the car even the fuel consumption.......
Thencame Friday morningwhen I noticed a knocking sound coming from the front near side. As we had just driven down a muddy lane I thought we'd picked up a stone or some debris in the discs and wasn't to bothered but by the time we'd got home it hadn't disappeared so I booked it in with the dealers (Town & Country Motors at Truro) for them to look at. I took it out this morning but within a very few minutes the noise and vibration was so bad that the car was undriveable. Its now abandoned at the road side awaiting a recovery unit to take it to the garage.

I crawled underneath it it expecting to see bits hanging off but everything seems to be attached and there are no obvious fluid leaks. There's no excess play at the wheels or on the steering.

To be fair to the garage they provided a replacement immediately which wasn't bad for a Saturday afternoon. Having read some of the posts relating to similar problems I shall be interested to see what has broken

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The problem is almost resolved. The RAC came out to the car on Sunday. I was expecting a recovery unit who was going to drag it away but they had sent one of their patrols. I explained the problem to him and a wry smile appeared on his face.

Are you familiar with the phrase 'Keep it simple stupid'

He did what I'd already done and checked for free play on the wheels there was none. He then got out the trolley jack and lifted the car up at which point the front nearside wheel could be seen flapping in the wind. One wheel nut was AWOL and the other three were finger tight. He torqued all the wheel nuts to the recommended 109nm. I tested the car and all was well (apart from the missing nut).

I contacted the dealer this morning. This is not an uncommon problemapparentlywhen the pads and discs have been changed even though the wheel nuts have been tightened they work loose. They now torque the wheel nuts to 120nm not the recommended 109nm.

I felt a bit of a twat when the RAC man found the problem but it neveroccurredto me that a car that had had a PDI, year three service and an MoT could possibly have loose wheel nuts. Hence 'Keep it simple stupid'.

I'm waiting for the garage to collect the car so they can check for damage.

It begs the question why not tell people your car has had new discs please check the wheel nuts for tightness after so many miles.

I shall be painting some tell tales on the nuts when it comes back.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
At 109Nm it wouldn't work loose in my experience, i suspect something much more simple than that!

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
LSK said:
I contacted the dealer this morning. This is not an uncommon problemapparentlywhen the pads and discs have been changed even though the wheel nuts have been tightened they work loose. They now torque the wheel nuts to 120nm not the recommended 109nm.

I'd get a longer wheelbrace, that is 90lb ft. You will struggle to undo those with the puny little thing in the boot.

I doubt if 10% over-tightening will hurt anything, but seems odd that they knew the wheels would likely come off, and have a solution that they didn't apply when they did the discs.

However, I have a nasty, suspicious mind, and a pathological mistrust of garages.

(I changed my discs in April, and torqued the nuts to the recommended value, and nothing has fallen off yet)

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
A big +1 on that mnl, I've never had a wheel come loose using spec torque and using an even rising rate in sequence. Too many garages use air guns and don't sequence the tightening up.
mnl said:
LSK said:

I'd get a longer wheelbrace, that is 90lb ft. You will struggle to undo those with the puny little thing in the boot.

I doubt if 10% over-tightening will hurt anything, but seems odd that they knew the wheels would likely come off, and have a solution that they didn't apply when they did the discs.

However, I have a nasty, suspicious mind, and a pathological mistrust of garages.

(I changed my discs in April, and torqued the nuts to the recommended value, and nothing has fallen off yet)

·
Registered
152 Posts
What happened here is that they messed up, didnt tighten your wheel bolts properly and then when the wheel came off, they fobbed you off with an excuse that it was the cars fault instead of saying 'Sorry we messed up'.

I wouldnt use them again if I were you.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts