Nissan Note Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 302 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I get intermittent loud(ish) knocking noise coming from the front, hard to tell exactly where, but "seemingly" felt through
the steering. This happens especially when
the left wheel is over pot holes or speed ramps, or just turning right
on a rough surface. Halfords could not find any fault with L & R suspensions
checked cv joints, boots, ball. etc. But ended up making me spent £320 on new
discs and pads, and a new tyre.
Before I go back to them or Nissan,risking being pitched into spending more money on other new parts I dont really need, has anyonehad simiar experience?
Hope someone can help . getting really stressed out with this ...

·
Registered
152 Posts
Mine has the same problem and has been back once to the dealer and they said they think its the bearing at the topof the suspension. They couldnt be sure though and said to wait until it develops more. It has got worse so is going back to them on Monday for further investigation for 2 days. I'll let you know what they say.
It is very annoying and makes the car feel unsafe.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Although when driving normally all seems fine, until you do a turn oe go over a rough surface. Also, if I go fasterround amedium sizedround-about, I can hear some small clicks / clacks. At first I thought it was the cv joint, but Halfords MOT mechanichave spent1hour checking the whole suspension both sides,and could not find anything. Hence I shifted probability to the steering system ( which they didnt check ). Because it is intermittent, I couldnt get the knocksfor the mechanicwhen he sat in my car which I drove around a bit. Same here, they say if it gets worse then bring it back. Frustrating !!So I have to wait till that happens.. However I will appreciate it if you could update me on your progress. I will do the same. thanks

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Sorry if this seems like a silly question, but could it be something
moving around in the tray under the passenger seat squab? I had the same
problem years ago in a Corsair (knocking/tapping over rough ground and when turning sharply) and after many hours over the inspection
pit we traced the fault to a can of Easy Start rolling against a plug
socket in the
glovebox...DOH!

·
Registered
152 Posts
I've got the car back now and they said it was cured. it isnt and is still knocking. They lubricated all the bushes and the steering but i can still notice it. They will be getting the sharp end tomorrow morning!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Im so sorry.. that's very disappointing news... hope they fix it properly tomorrow ..( no further charge !)

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi. I wonder if they solved the problem yesterday?( thenoise on mine is still very intermittent )

·
Registered
12 Posts
mine is doing that too, everyone who looks at it cannot find a problem, im not paranoid and know that this exists. does anyone actually know of a guaranteed fix before i just give up and sell this car - losing money onto the bargain.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the update.. Hope they drive around town long enough this time ( if they want to hear the noises ! ) . I get this feeling that because it has to hit something or experience torque to reproduce the knocks, nothing will appear looseunder jacked car by just randomrocking different parts with the hand. (unless they rock the right part.)..

·
Registered
10 Posts
This might help - the story sounds familiar. I have an o8 reg 1.6 Tekna Auto. It recently developed a knocking/rattle on the front nearside. I took it to my local Nissan dealer and it turned out to be 'a fairly common problem'. The bolt that holds a subframe support bar comes loose. This garage told me to fix it involves cutting into the chassis and rewelding the nut that holds it to the chassis. I was horrified, so took it to another Nissan garage in Epsom, they were familiar with the problem and fixed it with washers and spacers. Cost £96 and it's been quiet since. Good luck.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks DJW47 this is veryhelpful indeed .did they point out a specific bar?). ians1386, perhaps itcan help it youpoint this out to the mechanic to check if the same problem applies?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'll do my best from memory from when they took me into the inspection pit to show me the problem. The the bar is probably about 8 inches long and goes from the subframe (nearside), vertically and bolts onto the chassis just behind the front wheel. It's difficult to get to, they had to drop the subframe to do the job. Hope this helps and I haven't confused you, let me know if you need any more info.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks foryour cleardescription. I will explain it when I take my car in,so we allknow what to expect, ie hopefully mine has the same problem that is ..Just in case.. may I ask if you actually see him move the bar about,with some play ?. kindest rgds

·
Registered
10 Posts
There was some play where the bolt enters the chassis. Hopefully if you explain as I've described the problem they will understand.
If that turns out to be the problem and they suggest cutting into the chassis and rewelding I suggest you get a second opinion. Perhaps contact the people that fixed mine - in Epsom! I'll be happy to put you in touch.
Good luck and let me know how it goes.

1 - 20 of 302 Posts