Nissan Note Owners Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello

I have a Nissan Note 1.4 from 2008, manual box, petrol. A few days ago I tried to start it in the morning and it would crank and crank but never start. Tried a few times with some time in between but no luck. I checked the battery voltages and they were on the low side and since the battery was quite old I cleaned the battery terminals and replaced it with a new one just to be sure. After replacing the battery the car still does not start. It cranks well, lights work and sometimes it seems like it is going to "almost" start but still doesn't.

Now that I have ruled out that the problem is not the battery, could I get some advice what other things to check or how to try to get the car started.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
995 Posts
When did the car last have a service? (It needs good spark plugs and air filter etc) You've either got a weak spark in the ignition or a problem with fuel delivery.
You can check for a spark at each plug by removing them one at a time, placing near the block and crank it over. You'll need two people. If you've got good sparks from all plugs then you can suspect a fuel problem.
It might be easier to get it checked over by a mechanic.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Assuming you have checked the obvious, there is petrol in it, someone hasn't jammed something in the exhaust or stolen part of the engine, carry out the secret procedure for starting a flooded engine

(I assume the original French/Japanese said "crank" the engine where it says "start" here)
a. Depress the accelerator pedal all the way to the floor and hold it.
b. Start the engine for 5-6 seconds and stop.
After starting the engine, release the accelerator pedal.
c. Start the engine with your foot off the accelerator pedal. Release the ignition
switch when the engine starts.

If the engine starts, but fails to run, repeat the procedure from step a.

Translated into English

a. Depress the accelerator pedal all the way to the floor and hold it.
b. Crank the engine for 5-6 seconds and stop.
After cranking the engine, release the accelerator pedal.
c. Crank the engine with your foot off the accelerator pedal. Release the ignition
switch when the engine starts.

If the engine fires, but fails to run, repeat the procedure from step a.

If that doesn't work you can try holding the pedal down about 1/3rd of the way during step c.

If it doesn't work at all, the next step is to have a look down the oil filler and see if the cams are turning, then take a look at the spark plugs - the engine has to come apart for this though, so just hope that it will go.

They are an absolute swine to start again if you run it for a few seconds and switch off- just to move it out of the way on the drive, it took me about 20 minutes of swearing and trying the secret procedure to get my 1.6 to go the next morning after I made that mistake once. ;)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts