Nissan Note Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hopefully i will be taking another look at the connect to see what can be done with it in the nex few days weather permiting of course
this time around i have souced the plugs for the connect and a set of low cost crimpers so i can make up the plugs (genuine crimpers for these contact types are £330 +vat or £170 for some chinese knock offs i got a set what are a near match for a mere £9.50)

i have an el-cheapo camera to play with too (genuine qashqai one for the car tho)

·
Registered
276 Posts
I'll definitely be watching this thread carefully - I'm toying with the idea of fitting a connect to my 57 plate Note and am currently watching several on ebay to see how much they go for.

I'm a tad apprehensive as to whether it would all be "worth the effort" given that I have currently fitted my TomTom plug-in base into the top cubby so the cables are all hidden and I just 'drop in' the tomtom when I need it. Having said that the standard CD radio is a tad basic, I'd love to be able to plug i a USB stick full of my tunes, plus I need something new to tinker with!

I've read all theconnect threads that I can find on here and I reckon that apart from finding a connect unit itself, I *think* I'll need to find a later surround, swap the mic, source and fit the GPS antenna and mess with a few connectors.

Have I got it about right?

George

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
near enough the usb lead is the only thing missing and is a pita to get hold of (£120 from the main dealers)
connects go for 200-300 with the pass card,gps and usb cable

·
Registered
4,708 Posts
There was a thread about a guy in the Midlands who was supplying and fitting Connect systems complete with a six month warranty for £400.

I'm damned if I can find it.

·
Registered
276 Posts
flash22 said:
near enough the usb lead is the only thing missing and is a pita to get hold of (£120 from the main dealers)
Thanks for the info.

I'm pretty handy with a soldering iron and I'd be happy to make up a USB cable and 'engineer' it into the car (either into the top cubbie or the glove box), assuming of course that it's possible to get hold of the connector(or splice into the existing wiring)forthe connect end.

Aside from taking some careful measurements (I can feel a trip to a used car dealer or two coming on!) how can I determine whether or not I will need to swap the moulding housing the radio/connect and vents? How easy is the 'connect-type' housing to get hold of?

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
4,708 Posts
Well found flash!

£300 seems a great price for supply and fit.

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thats plus a sd card and adapters so £400 is about right - but there are some inc myself who like to find out thing do things for them selfs - i come from a very technical/electronics background, i was fixing tv's, videos, cb's and car audio at the age of 13-14

·
Registered
4,708 Posts
The listing says that includes the SD card.

Like you, I am an inveterate 'self-fixer' but given the price of second hand units without warranty it still seems a good deal.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Nigel B said:
There was a thread about a guy in the Midlands who was supplying and fitting Connect systems complete with a six month warranty for £400.

I'm damned if I can find it.
I had one fitted by him last year, (still working), nice bloke, no problems with fitting.

I had to make my own usb lead there was a thread on it on here.

Turnedout he supplied the wrong microphone patch lead, and the connect thought that it was in a different car. I modified the lead to earth the correct pins, and it admitted that it was in a Note, but it made no difference to how the unit operated.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I spoke to the guy who sells on ebay yesterday. He asked loads of questions about the car and came back with a price of £350 "including fitting including patch lead, gps antenna and sd card with 2011/12 maps". He also said the unit was "latest 2012 model in gloss black - sorry can't get the older version which was slightly cheaper"

I'm not sure about how a "gloss black" unit will look in my dash compared to the matt/satin finish ones that I've seen .. does anyone have any thoughts or experience on this?

I also think it's a bit too dear for me and will still be watching the prices on ebay with a view to fitting one myself.

George

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well after 4 hours of working out wiring in and outputs and using a scope and multimeter it seems my connect either doesnt have the firmware or the hardware to support a camera/ composite input
i will put some pic,s of the connects inside upin the next few days

the eq lines (pins 21-24) still config the connect for the car is in

another new thing i come across (prob common knowledge) are the connect isdesigned by bosch but built by blaupunkt in spain/portugal

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
oh nearly forgot a bit of techy info the connect is based on a omap processor and it runs on navteq maps unsure of the graphics chipset but the connect may be hackable using a android via usb or other low power os
getting to the bottom of the os on the connect will be a milestone but i doubt i have the skills without doing a mass of reading and playing

·
Registered
4,708 Posts
@flash22 - makes sense as Bosch used to own Blaupunkt.

@GeorgeP56 - the gloss unit looks fine, I didn't know that there was a 'matt' one.

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
the upto 2011 connects are the usual jap gray

Gloss black
juke

Edited by: flash22

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I know you lot like pics of stuff so here thay are
The connect breaks down in to 3 major parts the screen and controls whats un clips after undoing two screws at the top and two at the bottom

The optical drive thats in a caseis held by 4 screws (screws are in indented sectionsin the top of the unit)

last but not least the main control board the size of the power caps and the smoothing circuit surprised me

Note the place for sat radio tuneron the board right next to the radio tuner

And the omap processor

·
Registered
276 Posts
flash22 said:
I know you lot like pics of stuff so here thay are
Great stuff - thanks for the pics!!

flash22 said:
Note the place for sat radio tuneron the board right next to the radio tuner
Do you mean DAB rather than SAT? I can't imagine driving down the M1 trying to trying to keep the dish on the roof aligned with 28 degrees east

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
nope the yanks havesat radioiirc it proper name is xm radio
http://www.siriusxm.com/

the yanks have had th connect type system since 2009

28.8 astra on the go isnt a problem 19.2 is a bit weaker but still possable with camos in motion kit 13e hortbird may be another issue

·
Registered
276 Posts
Thanks to 'lotsnipe' I won myself a connect on ebay yesterday, so when it arrives (and when the snow disappears!) I'll have something to tinker with.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts